6. Le bureau - The Office

When I opened my eyes the next morning, everything was different. A different country, a different motto, a different life. I shifted on the couch I'd slept on last night, turning on my side to watch my mama. I found her already awake, and admiring me.

She smiled at me and said, "Aujourd'hui est ton premier jour de travail?"

(Today's your first day of work, right?)

"Oui, mama."

(Yes, mom.)

"Ne perdez pas votre temps ici. Laisse-moi juste et pars."

(Don't waste your time here. Just go.)

I smiled. "I will mama."

Rising from the couch, I sat facing the huge window, which graced us with the morning sunlight. The room Florian had booked for mama was one of the biggest in here. Equipped with a spacious bed and couch, and ceiling to floor windows which allowed maximum light to enter inside.

The golden glow caught my eyes, and shone on my face. It brought feelings of warmth as well as fear. The thought of stepping into the world of adults scared me, now that I thought about it. All my life, I'd lived alone. When I got my first job, it was a simple one - to handle kids at the local orphanage. Even though they were mischievous, they were nothing like the people I was going to meet here.

I had a feeling this was going to be very, very different than my previous life. But, I had to get accustomed to it, anyway.

Sighing, I stood up and directed myself towards the bathroom. I emerged out of it, wearing a white full sleeved shirt and a black full length dress with spaghetti straps. I paired it with black kitten heels, the only heels I had.

I tied my hair in a simple low bun, as it was my signature style, and I loved how it allowed me to do my work properly without the hair getting in my way. Since I didn't own a lot of makeup, I opted for a simple nude lipstick and kept the rest of my face bare. My dirty blonde bangs framed my large forehead anyway, so I knew no one would pay much attention to my face.

Grabbing my glasses and purse, I gave one last hug to mama, and left the hospital room. Just as I expected, Brice was waiting for me in front of the elevator, always ahead of time.

"Good morning, Ms. Fontaine. Did you sleep well last night?" He asked me in his usual upbeat tone, and I couldn't help but feel that familiarity creeping up inside me.

"Good morning to you too. I'm fine, and I slept very well last night. Thank you for asking."

The conversation didn't continue after that, as we hardly knew anything about each other. Still, I felt comfortable with him even after meeting him just twice. Unlike someone else, who had put me on edge since the first time I saw him.