25. Le pouvoir - Power

Now that mama had met André, I couldn't keep my engagement a secret from her

Now that mama had met André, I couldn't keep my engagement a secret from her. When I visited her again, she had asked a million questions, and avoiding them would only make everything look more suspicious.

I was already feeling guilty for lying to her about this whole thing. From what I'd told her, she would think I'd met André in Chantilly and had been dating him since the last six months. There wasn't a grain of truth in my words, but they made mama feel on top of the world.

She was relieved that I'd found someone to share my life with. She was naive enough to not realize that there was no concept of a soulmate for a broken soul like me. She didn't realize how scarred I was because of these damned human relationships, and that I would never allow myself to be vulnerable with anyone. Not again.

She thought I'd changed. And I didn't correct her for her own sake. Maybe if everything went well, this happiness could help her in her recovery. The fact that she was ecstatic for me was enough.

With the end of August approaching, my nerves were increasing as well. The official engagement invitations had been sent out to everyone, and someone from a high end jewelery brand had taken my finger measurements for the ring. The buzz of the wedding had still not died down, and everyone was regarding it as some Royal wedding. Everything was happening so fast, or maybe that was all in my head.

From my side, I'd invited my fashion design team to the engagement. Apart from Lily, they were the ones who truly supported me, and we were all friends now. I wouldn't want to have such a huge event without them. When I'd given them the formal invitations, the look of absolute shock and disbelief on their faces were a sight to see, too.

Smiling inwardly, I stepped out of the elevator as it stopped on the familiar sixth floor. Today was an important day as well – the models we required for the collection were supposed to have meeting with the designers, and go over the smaller details.

Just the thought of it wiped the smile off my face. The thought of the last minute changes that happened last night made my stomach churn with nervousness. This day was going to be full of drama.

I turned around the hallway, and passed my regular desk. Walking straight to the end of the floor, I opened the door of the conference room and walked inside. It was a large, rectangular area made for meetings with a large number of people. A rectangular glass table took up most of the room, and leather chairs were placed on all sides. A huge screen was hung on an adjacent wall, which would be used to discuss positions of the models on the ramp and other practicalities.

Sophie, Maria, Martin and the twins were already present in the room, already radiating anxiety through their behaviors. The twins were connecting the projector to the laptop, while the other three were deep in a last minute discussion. The scene might have looked very common to any other eye, but I knew their subtle signs.

Mia and Amelia – who were supposed to be tech geniuses – hadn't been able to connect the laptop in the past five tries. Sophie kept playing with the end of her pen, constantly biting it. Maria hadn't stopped twirling that ring on her finger, and Martin, although calm and collected, adjusted the glasses on his nose quite often.