32. Le diable - The Devil

"

"... how are we supposed to work now? Liz? Are you okay?"

Someone asked me, and it brought me back to reality. Looking up, I found five pairs of eyes peering at me. Clearing my throat, I pushed my glasses back on my nose.

"What happened?" I asked them, ashamed that I hadn't been paying attention again.

It had been one entire week, but I still couldn't come to my senses. Ever since that incident, I couldn't think, couldn't focus, couldn't live properly. Once I opened my eyes, the harsh reality dawned on me, more like crashed right into me. Horrified at the lack of my own self control, I ran away from André, and made a pledge to avoid him at all costs.

The man was bad news, he was trouble, and it was natural for me to want to run away from him. After confidently admitting that I wasn't afraid of him, in the end, I did run away. But sadly, I couldn't run away from the memory of my first kiss that was imprinted on my mind.

Every time I thought of André, all I could think of was that damned kiss. It burned every part of me, and plagued my mind. For the first two days, I found it extremely hard to think of anything else. After four days, it got a little better, but not quite. Every time I sat idle, all I could think of was the kiss. It was a recurring memory that haunted me more than my scars.

"There's not one contractor who wants to work with us. It means we're left with no factories to create our collection in. What are we supposed to do?" Maria explained for me again, and I nodded, finally understanding the situation.

Once the words settled in, dread and anxiety surfaced. What were we supposed to do now? Turning to Sophie, I questioned her, "Why? Have you really talked to every single one of them? How can they reject us when we're a part of the company they're affiliated with?"

Sophie looked furious. She wasn't the kind of woman to easily lose her temper, but today, she looked like she was about to burst. Her eyebrows were knitted together, and her brown eyes contained a resentment so deep that it scared me.

"Its the work of that vile bitch, Sasha Collins. She's literally the Devil's Spawn." She only said this, which had the wheels turning in my head.

"But why would she...?" I had only completed half of my sentence, when I looked at the pensive expressions of Maria and Martin, and I immediately knew they were telling the truth.

Sasha Collins was definitely capable of such sorcery.

Sophie continued, "She was the one behind our grand failure two years back, and she's back now. That woman just can't stand me, because she wouldn't be who she is, if I was still in game."

Her voice was so full of spite, that I didn't know what to do or what to say. Their rivalry didn't span in a couple of months, but had been going on for more than two years now. Thanks to her evilness, Sasha now had contacts and the power to tell people to do as she pleases. And we wouldn't be able to reverse that, since we're basically nobodies coming back to the game.