23. Le rival - The Rival

A prickly silence followed my words

A prickly silence followed my words. While I was lost in doleful introspection, Lily kept shut and didn't utter a word. I turned to face her, and caught her with pity and guilt on her face.

"Don't feel guilty, you've done nothing wrong," I told her.

"Still, I shouldn't have been so direct. It's still a flaw I'm working on," she replied.

"Which flaw? Being direct?"

"Yeah."

I smiled. "Its not a flaw. Yes, you should know when to be direct, but if it's with me, I'll welcome it wholeheartedly. Also, neither it is your fault that I've lived that way, nor did you know anything about it. So don't beat yourself up."

Lily looked like she was about to cry, and then suddenly she was all over me. Startled and discombobulated, I saw that she was hugging me. Now that was the most awkward for me, I'd decided.

"Oh, what am I gonna do with you! You're the best!" She exclaimed out of glee which I didn't really understand, but didn't say anything.

"Okay, I get it, so please detach yourself from me. I'm already feeling hot."

She finally got away, but still grinned from ear to ear. Her smile was contagious, and it managed to bring a smile to me face too. Linking hands with me, she dragged me into yet another showroom.

At long last, after three arduous hours of nonstop shopping, we stopped at a cafe. It was nearing five in the evening, and I was craving caffeine in my blood.

"You have a really bad caffeine addiction, Liz. Even us models don't consume so much coffee in a day," Lily said, and I smiled.

"I can't help it. It started from a little affection, and then turned into such a big need in my life. Now, I just can't do without it."

"Looking at you, I can confirm that people can actually die of caffeine overload." She taunted me.

"Whatever. I'll deal with the future in the future. Right now, the only thing I can see is this ice cold americano."

The aura of the cafe was pretty light and colorful, and it had large windows that allowed sunlight to enter through. Taking a seat beside one of the windows, we immediately indulged in our cold beverages, feeling its coolness calm our erratic heartbeats.

"So, I had a question. It's actually been bugging me since yesterday," I said, which caught her attention.

"What is it?"

"I'm going to be honest, but I didn't expect you to actually be curious about me. Ever since I've landed in New York, people have constantly looked down on me, and found ways to insult me. Especially, people of your standard.

"But then, you came along, telling me that you wanted to be friends with me. It just doesn't sit right with me - why are you being friendly with me while being Madison's best friend?"