36. Les vacances - The Vacation

I thought we were going somewhere interesting, but he just brought me home. Puzzled and confused, I turned to him only for him to smile secretively.

"We are going somewhere. I just want you to pack your bags for two nights. We'll be back on Monday. And, no skirts. I want you to be comfortable."

This was even more bemusing. "But where are we going that requires me to be comfortable? Why won't you tell me anything?"

"Because it's a surprise. One I'm sure you'd like."

That shut me up. Since when did he care what I liked or didn't like? André got out of the car and went inside the house, showing how serious he was. I followed him reluctantly and went to my room. Thanks to Lily, I now owned a few pairs of denims which I could pack for the trip.

Packing sweaters, cardigans and full sleeved shirts along with it, I packed my laptop, sketchbook and pencils just in case. My small suitcase was ready in no time, and I exited my room. I noticed André's room down the hall was open, meaning he must have gone downstairs. He had a habit of leaving his door open whenever he left. Not that it was a bad thing, it just made me uncomfortable.

I went down, but couldn't see any trace of André. I was about to call for Clara to ask her if she'd seen him, until I heard some voices. Following the noise, I reached the back garden. I could hear someone's deep but soothing voice, and I frowned. That was definitely not André.

"Whether it was because of your mom, or destiny, the result is that I'm elated and content with the life I'm living right now. It's time you let it go, and let yourself be happy. You're going to have a wife, for fuck's sake."

Who was this person? And was he referring to me?

"Who said I wasn't happy?"

"Are you kidding me? Why won't you take ownership of the company? Even I know Maddy's dad is a snake in hiding, but why do you sit here and do nothing?"

When André didn't reply, the other man spoke up again.

"I'll make sure this becomes an opportunity for you to appeal to the directors. Your marriage already has a positive effect, and the solidification of contractors will definitely become a deal breaker. That's what your big bro is for."

Big bro. Janvier?! Oh, that man who I met on the night of my engagement. The ethereal but mysterious man, who I'd caught dancing with Lily. I didn't see anymore of them afterward, but that was only because I had left the place.

But hearing what he was talking about made me excited to see him. If he was the lawyer helping André out, I would love to hear any news of improvement from him.