Chapter One

My body hums along with the plane as my headphones sing sweet melodies that fail to drown out the machine. I'm definitely not going to miss this. Planes have always been scary, but my experiences from skydiving still strike terror into my bones. I shiver in distaste. I'm never going undercover as a pilot ever again. My thoughts divert to what truly makes me anxious; Dr. Roberts has summoned me back home. The 18-hour flight from Seoul, South Korea to Charleston, South Carolina feels like a slice of cake compared to the summoning. I shift in my seat and reach for my tablet, opening the message from Dr. Roberts once again.

My Dear Ghostbird,

Please fly back southwest for the Fall.

Spring is near its end.

Leaves fall in the relaxed wind.

Old dogs bark their love in return.

My arm relaxes into my lap as the screen still looks back at me, casting shadow around my face. Dr. Roberts always writes in riddles, but I know his words. His intentions were "Come home now, you need a break. Love, Dad." It's not an intimidating message per say, other than his vague poetry, but this is Dr. Roberts, and he never calls me back without reason. A vacation isn't something he would demand of me to endure in Charleston. My 21st birthday is in a week, but he's the type to tell me to take a trip to Atlanta, or Las Vegas. I blink slowly as the screen dims and turns off, staring into my pale, green eyes. My face contorts into a look of confusion before I sigh and relax in the chair.

~~

I grabbed my bags and head to the car service for my ride. My bike and car are due to arrive tomorrow, and I couldn't ask Dr. Roberts to take me to my hotel since he works so much already. More like I needed time before our confrontation. The driver takes my bags and I get into the back.

The drive is quick, and the check-in is just as easy. My room is quaint, but I intend to find a short-term apartment once Dr. Roberts clues me into my trip length. I plop onto the bed, falling onto my back. Sigh, I'm horny. My travels have led me to many lovers, but there is nothing for me in South Carolina. Charleston is an Academy hot spot, which means limited engagement with others for me. My identity as the Ghostbird can be placed at risk because of Academy members. I just want to have an orgasm.

I roll onto my stomach before climbing off the bed. There's a little friend in my travel case that can help my situation. I pull out my pink massage wand and smile at it before speaking with guffaw, "Hello there, Miss Reliable!" My body shimmies back to the bed, quickly stripping before plopping back onto the bed like before, the wand to my side. My legs spread, already dampening with desire. I grab my breast with my left-hand and slide my right down to my silken lips. I squeeze my breast before clamping onto my nipple. I tug it from my body eliciting a quiet moan. My right-hand presses onto my clit and rubs slow circles. I release my nipple and return back to cupping my breast while putting delicious pressure on my sensitive button. My fingers are slicked with juices, and I pull away to reach for the wand.

Let's enjoy the ride. I spread my legs a little further before turning the wand onto its lowest setting. My body tingles as it begs for release, but I can't allow myself to be done just yet. I press the massage wand to my clit and my hips surge on their own accord. My body grinds into the vibrations as I squeeze my breast. I release a moan into the room. "Fuck me, I'm going to burst." I don't want to stop, but my phone begins to buzz on the nightstand. I cringe as I hear it ring and turn up the power on my wand. Instantaneously, my body releases an orgasm. My legs tremble as my hips buck. My left-hand grips onto my breast desperately as I force the wand harder onto myself. I cry out my pleas of pleasure and slowly ride my orgasm until my body relaxes onto the bed.

My massage wand buzzes with vigorous energy as if it wasn't done with me before I shut it off. "I'll be back baby, I promise," I tease like it has feelings. I turn and reach for my phone and answer. "Orange."

"Bubbles." Dr. Robert responds in the signature code of the Academy; random. "Hello, my Little Bird, I hope your flight was alright."

"As good as it could have been, Phil. When do I get to see you?" I really did miss him; he was my family.

"Let's do dinner tonight. Ben is closing the diner early so he can see you too."

"I'd love to see Uncle! Is Ms. Rose joining us too?" Ms. Rose was the only woman I truly trusted. My aversion towards women only wavers when I'm seeking their sexual comfort, or when it comes to Ms. Rose. Her inability to speak was a heartbreaking story about the abuse she faced at the orphanage she was raised in. I relate deeply to her and empathize with the kind woman. Her history didn't affect her humor and sweet character. She is inspiring.

"Of course Dear, your family misses you!" I grin at the wall, my anxiety about confrontation lessened.

"I'll see you soon." I hummed before hanging up.

Dr. Robert's POV

I smile down at the now blank screen. My dear Sang is home again. It's been too long since she has last returned, but I don't blame her. She is just as incredible, no, more incredible than she was when she was fifteen, and freshly graduated. Her vast expertise and unique identity have demanded her across the globe. She has done incredible infiltration and recon missions as a lone bird. Defying another standard in the Academy. The Academy discourages solo teams and wishes for its members to seek out their team, their family. But Sang is a unique character.

Her trauma with women made it difficult for her to bond with bird teams. She could join a dog team, but she found that she enjoyed her work as a solo bird. My Sang has been highly successful on her own; however, I worry about her and her future. She needs a family. I, along with Ben and Rose, cannot offer her the same stability as a team. I know exactly who I want to introduce her to.

"What are you scheming about" Ben calls as he walks towards me, his eyebrows raised. "Is it about a little bird?"

I huff. "I don't scheme. I introduce opportunities."

"You can't fool me, old man. Your eye has the same gleam Luke gets before he pulls some stunt. Spill it."

I roll my eyes at the old man comment. "Ben, you're 2 years younger than me."

"Spill it, old man. Or I'll tell Sang you're up to something."

"Fine." I bite out. "It's time."

He looked at me curiously, leaving silence as his encouragement to continue. "I think I have the perfect team to introduce Sang to. She deserves to have people who love her other than us."

He smirks, "The Blackbourne-Toma team?"

I eye him warily. "How did you know that it was them?"

He booms with laughter. "I've been trying to plan Sang's introduction to my troublesome nephews for years. If anyone could reign in their antics, Sang definitely could. Plus, you and I both know the Blackbourne-Toma team is open to sharing a bird like the Anderson team."

Ben takes a deep breath before continuing, "The Blackbourne-Toma team consists of fourteen diverse personalities; their wish is a daunting feat for a bird. But we both know someone that would love them equally. Someone with expanse interests and knowledge. Someone who is empathetic and caring, but sassy and tough. Someone who is in need of a team."

I grin, "Do you think it will work?"

"I think you might get caught by our troublesome bird, but yes, I think it may."

The door chimes as Sang enters the diner, as if she was summoned by our conversation. Her face is lit up with a broad smile, her green eyes shining with joy. "Phil! Uncle! I've missed you so much!" Her deceivingly petite body bounds towards us, until she crashes into a hug.

"We've missed you too, Little Bird."