Chapter Eighteen

I groan when I hear knocking at my door. Kayli shuffles under the sheets, "Want me to get it?"

              I rub at my eyes and sit up, "No, its fine. I got it."

              Pulling myself from my warm sheets, I trudge to my front door. I smile as I swing it open, "Hey Core, what's up?"

              Corey, in all his glory, beams with a beautiful smile. I gratefully look him over; his fitted t-shirt and jeans are doing him every justice. I feel a twinge of insecurity at my lack of dressed state. He doesn't seem to mind though, as his eyes wander over my body. "Hey, sorry to have woken you. I wanted to see if you were going to be free on Friday. I'd like to take you on your birthday date."

              A rush of excitement fills me. "I'm free all day! I'd be glad to spend it with you.

              His body relaxes, "I'll have Gabriel prepare your outfit."

              I grin at him, and he returns it. Shuffling comes from behind me, and his eyes lift from mine. Surprise and concern flit through his features and I turn to see Kayli walking over in her panties and t-shirt. "Spitfire, who is at the door?"

              She wraps her arms around my waist, hugging me from behind. "Kayli, where did your pants go?"

              She giggles but doesn't answer. Corey looks back and forth between us confusion and hurt are clear on his face. I clear my throat, "Corey, this is Kayli, an old friend of mine. Kayli, this is Corey, a friend and someone that I'm dating."

              Corey relaxes a touch but is still tense. "Kayli, nice to see you again."

              Kayli's grip has tightened around me, and she snuggles close into me. "Yeah, nice to see you. I thought you were dating Mr. Blackbourne."

              "I am. You two know each other, then?"

              Corey nods, "Yes, we do." Seriously? No elaboration?

              The silence thickens in the space. I can feel Kayli's stare on Corey, and he simply looks to me. Seconds tick by that feel like hours. "Well then, would you like to join us for breakfast? I am making pancakes."

              His kind smile returns, "As much as I would love to Sang, I have an assignment. I just wanted to swing by and check your schedule."

              I grin, "Hey Kayli, can you go get the ingredients out."

              "Sure thing, Spitfire." She squeezed me one more time and left for the kitchen.

              I grab Corey's hand and tug him to me. He happily obliges, smiling down at me. "I'm excited for our date," I reach up and peck him on the lips. "Will you be able to spend the night after?"

              He leans down and kisses me slowly. I nearly sigh when he pulls back. "I'll stay over after. We can enjoy our time alone, then." He kisses me once more before walking backwards to the door, "If I don't see you sooner, I'll see you on Friday." With a wink, leaves me stunned at my entryway. I'm on cloud nine as I enter the kitchen. These boys make me feel all kinds of fuzzy and warm.

              Kayli leans against the countertop, watching me. She doesn't say a word when I start prepping the pancake batter. I barely even notice she's there. I can't stop thinking about what our date is going to be like and how our evening after will be spent. The smile on my face won't dissipate. I know how sweet Corey is, and I expect nothing less than his nerdy and cute personality to take over.