Chapter Sixteen

A/N: Sorry for the late and short update! I'm in the process of moving into my new apartment, but will be updating more soon (hopefully)!

~~

We played through eight holes without any issues but didn't gain any further insight. Mr. Hendricks returned to being standoffish while Mr. French became an intolerable nat. I'm jealous that Owen didn't have the task of being the distraction because Mr. French is annoying as hell. He talked about the mechanics of golf balls for twenty minutes! He paused his conversation as we drove to the next hole, only to immediately restart it when we parked. Owen had bugged their cart and placed trackers in their bags, but at this rate, we weren't going to learn anything useful. They were mostly quiet when driving or commenting about their plays. Nothing was abnormal about their conversations.

I was starting to get frustrated as we neared the ninth hole. If they planned on having their discussion, it would be when we weren't around, and I can't take another moment listening to how golf balls are produced. "Darling," I called to Owen. "I'm getting peckish, can we head back to the club after this?"

I didn't inform Owen of the plan change, but he catches on without stumbling. "Of course, My Love. I'm quite hungry myself."

"Leaving already, Miss Sang?" Mr. French asks with a pout. A revolting sight, truly. He looks like a bass mechanical fish, the one that sings when you press a button.

"I get quite cranky when I'm hungry, Douglas. I don't want my impression on you two to be affected by my hunger. Please, continue your game. If we're still around after, why don't we grab some drinks at the bar?"

His eyes light up at the chance for drinks. "That sounds wonderful. Mr. Hendricks, don't you agree?" He simply nods in confirmation. My stomach churns at the consideration of staying any longer. Drinking with suspicious men is always a recipe for disaster.

"Excellent!" I clap my hands together. The round is over quickly, and we part ways from the duo. Mr. French makes me promise to stay for a glass with them, and I giggled my way out of committing to it. I'll only stay if it's absolutely necessary. The two of them make my skin crawl.

When Owen and I are at a safe distance away, I sign to him as I speak out loud. "Don't say anything that could compromise us. -- Ah! It's too bad that I'm hungry, I really enjoyed playing with them. – I don't want to underestimate their abilities to bug us too. -- Owen, Darling, we should stay for drinks with them. They were so nice!"

Owen nods in agreement, "You're right, Sweetie. They were very kind to let us join them too, it's a shame we're leaving the game early." The rest of our drive back was small chatter about our fake friend couple Brandon and Kayli and needing to reschedule an outing with them. I also spread fake rumors of her being pregnant for the drama of it. Owen was very into it. Who knew he was a gossip? He comments on them being unwed and the possible shun they may face. I had to refrain from ruining our cover, barely choking my laughter. I don't know how I'm going to face Brandon without laughing in his face.

We make our way to the patio restaurant after parking and checking our bags for bugs. Owen and I briefly swing into the bathrooms to check our clothing, and we're cleared. "Owen, I still have a bad feeling about them." Even though Mr. Hendricks was reserved during our game, his eyes rarely strayed from me. I could feel his burning stare still, analyzing every detail of me. I didn't miss his 'subtle' touches either. His clammy hands reminded me of slugs.

"I do too. We'll have to inform the main team about it. Even if it's a false alarm, better safe than sorry."

The hostess addresses us with a critical eye when we stepped to the podium before giving a slight nod in approval. I guess we look the part as guests. She gives us a perfect customer service smile that is clearly strained, "Do you have a reservation with us today, Sir?"