Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Cupcake, I'm surprised you wanted to do X-men as our costumes," Luke comments.

I look up from my food, "What do you mean?"

"Are you surprised she's a nerd? Remember when Kota told us about the cute blonde that can read Klingon?" Gabriel teases.

Luke laughs, "No, but I figured she'd want to do something like masquerade-themed."

My eyebrows pinch, "What made you think that?" I laugh drily, "To be honest, masks kind of freak me out."

"What about the white mask that was in your car?"

I could feel the blood draining from my face, and I paused a tad too long while bringing the bite to my mouth. I was so grateful for the saving grace of food. I chewed slowly, trying to ignore the dryness of my mouth as I swallowed my panic.

"Oh, I found that on my car windshield before picking up Kayli. Some kid prank or something." I shake my head, hoping that my half-truth will be convincing enough. But the three calculating sets of eyes on me told me I didn't completely pass the test.

"Like I said, masks freak me out, so I tossed it in the back," I shrug before squinting at Luke. "And how did you know that anyways? You weren't in my car that evening."

"While you were tongue-fucking Marc in the parking lot, and the rest of us were battling out the seating arrangement, I noticed it through the window. I was going to prank you with it later but forgot about it," He chuckles.

"When the hell did you do all that? We were watching you guys!" North barks out.

"You forgot that this was while my sweet Cupcake was tree-climbing her 'Marcuccino,'" Luke answers in a sing-song voice. He returns to normal, "Y'all weren't going to miss out on the free show, and I saw something shiny to steal. It was perfectly timed."

I shake my head in awe and disbelief, "You are incredible, Luci. I didn't notice you had shifted away from the group. You're a scary mastermind! You weren't even sober!" My voice gets louder with every word, starting in an awed whisper and ending with a shout.

"Luci?" He flushes.

"Yup! Short for Lucian," I follow with a mutter, "or Lucifer."

He looks at me with bewilderment, and bubbling laughter comes from him until he rocks back into his chair in hysterics. The other guys laugh and chuckle; even Owen has his millimeter smile.

"She got you good, brother. You really are a demon reincarnate," Nathan ruffles Luke's hair until Gabriel's hand smacks him away.

"You're just jealous that I impressed her with my skills," Luke taunts.

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Oh, here we go," Axel grumbles.

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Please, someone stop this childish tantrum," Brandon moans.

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Enough!" Raven booms, "You don't need to be jealous of each other."

"That's right...." I begin to say.

"Because you should be jealous of how much I impress her."