Chapter Twenty-Three

A soft tap comes from my bedroom door. I'm in a tangle of limbs and naked bodies; Victor, Kota, and I didn't bother to redress after our early morning activities. When I shift, Kota mumbles intelligibly while pulling me closer to him. I giggle quietly, trying to extract myself from his grip. The tapping comes again, only slightly louder.

"Kota," I whisper harshly. "I need to get out."

"No," he grumbles.

I can't help but laugh, "Unless you want Kayli to see all of us in our naked glory, let me up."

He cracks open his eyes to glare at me, he pulls me to kiss me before releasing me. I watch as he promptly turns over to fall back into his slumber as if I never disturbed him. When I look over to Victor he winks with a smirk. I kiss him quickly before hopping over him, grabbing the robe that hangs on my door, and tugging it on me. Cracking open the door, a smug Kayli stands there. I give her a small smile before maneuvering out of the room, careful not to show her my naked boyfriends.

"Someone had an eventful morning," she hums.

An awkward laugh comes from me, and I walk towards the living room, not wanting to stand outside my room and discuss my sexual relationships. I sit on the couch that she slept on, surprised to see that she put it back to its original state instead of leaving it as the pull-out bed. Curling into myself, I tuck my legs under me as she sits close.

"Thanks for letting me stay over, I had a lot of fun. The Blackbourne-Toma team is much more tolerable now than they were before," she scoffs.

"It's not a problem. You know I always have a space for you if you need it," I smile. "Thank you for trying again with them," I reach out to pick up her hand and sandwich it between my palms, "I wouldn't be as happy knowing that my only friend doesn't like my family."

"Family?" she questions with a tight smile.

I blush, "We haven't fully discussed it yet, but I can see them being my team. My family." I rub her hand, "You see it too don't you?"

She gives me a sad smile, "Yeah, I do. But..."

"But? Is something wrong?" My chest tightens with worry.

She looks away before mumbling quietly, "Am I still your family?"

I release her hand, and lunge forward to wrap my arms around her neck. This sends her tumbling backwards on the couch, pulling me on top of her. A small grunt comes from her at the force, and she wraps her arms loosely around my waist. Propping myself above her, I give her a watery smile. "Of course, you're still my family Kayli. Just like Dr. Roberts, or Uncle, or Rose. You're my family. But we both know it's not the same. You have your team, and I'm a lone bird. I'm not giving you up, just giving you some brothers," I wink.

She gives me a scrunched face before breaking out into a lyrical laugh. I grin down at her, "Do you understand?"

Her laughter dies down and she smiles, "Yes, Spitfire. I'm getting fourteen step-brothers, not losing my sister."

"Good!" I push myself up and readjust my, very exposing, robe and settle back in my seat. When she sits back up I give a sigh, "I think we need to talk about some boundaries though. Now that I'm committed to them, anything more than platonic friendship between us would be inappropriate."

When I look up at her, I'm surprised at the tears that brim her eyes. "I know," she breathes, "I need to say something before that. I promise I will respect your relationship, but I need you to know."

She moves close, picking up my hands with hers she takes a shaky breath. "I am and always have been in love with you. When we first met, you were so infuriatingly warm and soft. I despised how positive you were, but I couldn't keep away from you. You're so beautiful, Sang. My fiery Spitfire, you were always authentically yourself. I never felt good enough to be yours, only being grateful that I could be your lover. When I ran into you again, after hating myself over the year we were separated, I thought to myself 'Finally! My chance to redeem myself. To be deserving of her love.'" She hiccups as tears stream down her face, matching my own quiet tears. Meeting my gaze, she offers me a weak smile, "But seeing you with them, I understood. It was never meant to be me. I didn't accept it though. I tried to take you away from them, to convince you that it was me that deserved you. I won't ask for forgiveness about that because I would do it again. I will ask that you don't let me go. I can stay your friend and your sister as long as it means that I'm still in your life. Just please don't let me go," she sobs.

"I will always have space for you," I cry.

She pulls her hands away and wipes quickly at her tears. I mimic her movements, wiping my tears and taking deep breaths to calm my breathing. "Can I ask for one favor before I let you go?"

I nod.

"Can I kiss you goodbye?"

I nod.

When her lips meet mine, I try to show her that I loved her too. To me she is one of the only people to ever care for me. She's someone that I never want to give up, but I can't be the person she wishes I was. She slips her tongue into my mouth, and she caresses mine softly. Out of every kiss we've ever shared, this was our most vulnerable and honest we've had. When she pulls away, she presses her lips to mine one more time.

Standing up she smiles, a genuine smile. "Thank you, Sang. I think it's best I go home for now. Let's get together soon though. Those boys are perfect for you, and I couldn't ask for anything more for you."

Moving over to her bag she picks it up, and waves before heading out. A mix of sadness and relief fills me. I don't even notice the air shift and moss and berries until I'm pulled into a warm embrace. I naturally sink into the hold, desperate for his warmth.

"She loves me," I whisper.

"I know," he answers.

Unknown POV

I watch as she exits the apartment. Her face is puffy and red. If tears weren't streaming down her cheeks, it would be obvious that she had been crying. I can feel the anger bubble in my chest as she walks to the elevators.

She never listens.

If she listened then I wouldn't need to delegate punishments. But she never listens to my warnings.

She'll learn though. I just need to teach her.

My phone vibrates with a text message. I know who it is, watching as she pockets her phone while exiting the elevator.

Text between Kayli and Unknown

Kayli: Can we meet up at the café?

Unknown: Be there soon.

A/N: Short Chapter!! I have so much homework, and used this to procrastinate. [not edited] 

Thank you for all the votes and comments! I read every single one :')