Chapter Twenty

I groan in annoyance; a loud ringing bringing me out of a groggy sleep. Slapping my hand around the side table next to me, I grip onto the rectangular device. I squint enough to slide the green icon before balancing the phone on my cheek. "Hello," I croak.

"Hey Sang! Sorry to wake you." Kayli's voice filters through the speaker.

I wipe at my face and let out a soft sigh. Corey snuggles closer into my back, his head resting above mine. "It's alright, I should be getting up anyways. What's up?"

"Can I stay with you tonight? Whitney will be on my ass if I come back drunk."

I laugh breathily, "She still gets on you about it?"

"I threw up in her laundry basket one time! She's had a grudge towards me ever since."

I chuckle at the memory. Kayli had rushed to the bathroom only to mistakenly make it into Whitney's room. Her poor laundry basket didn't stand a chance. "I can pick you up too. I'll see if one of the guys will drive us back."

She sighs in relief, "Thank you! Can't wait to see you tonight."

"See you soon." I disconnect the call and settle into Corey's arms. He tightens his grip and I tilt my head back to meet his gaze. "Hey," I whisper.

He kisses my forehead, "Hey, Sunshine."

"Can we stay here today? I don't want to get up."

He smiles, "I can't. I have some Academy stuff to complete before tonight. But I can make up for not staying."

I giggle and shift closer to his face, "How so?"

"Like this," he whispers before capturing my lips with his.

~~

I laid in bed for another hour after Corey left. My sheets still had his sweet peppermint smell, and I couldn't convince myself to move. That was until Luke called me, the troublesome duo demanding I come over. More like Luke asking sweetly and Gabriel ordering my presence. No complaints from me though. I feel giddy knowing that they want me around.

Changing into something presentable, I meander over to Gabriel's place. I'm stunned at the interior. To no surprise, Gabriel's creative liberties aren't reserved when it comes to his own space. Intricate murals line the entryway and the living room. I feel as if I've stepped into a forest. Deep green trees and natural shrubbery overtake the walls. With a closer look, birds, deer, and squirrels can be seen in the forest, taking residency in the trees, and scavenging for food. I run my hands along the masterpiece, soaking in the details. Gabriel's gaze bores into me. I can feel him gauging my reaction, but I'm simply taken away.

"This is incredible," I whisper. "Reminds me of the woods behind my old house."

I escaped every day to the trees. Walking the trails, climbing the branches, watching the animals. I spent hours in there, wishing I could be as free as the local creatures. It was my only escape, away from the suffering at home and loneliness at school. My eyes begin to mist a bit and I glance over at Gabriel.

His cheeks are slightly tinted, and he gives me a strange look. "It was inspired by the forest behind Kota's and Nathan's houses. I still know all the trails behind Sunnyvale Court like the back of my hand."

I inhale sharply and look back at the mural. All this time, they've been closer to me than I expected. Before we can say anything more, Luke comes barreling down the hallway, picking me up and swinging me around. "Cupcake! I've missed you so much!"