Chapter Forty One

"Siddharth kahan hai Maa?" Shehnaaz asked, entering the kitchen. Rita Maa turned to look at her daughter and smiled at her groggy expressions.

"Good morning." She chuckled, a teasing glint in her eyes. Shehnaaz pouted, a deep red blush crept up her cheeks. "Good morning Maa."

"Siddharth bahar gaya hai-- aata hoga." Rita Maa informed her. "Tu itna jaldi kyon uth gayi?"

Shehnaaz shrugged, playing absently with her engagement ring. She hadn't been able to put that particular accessory on for more than two weeks, partly because of the back-to-back shooting, partly because she felt that such an open display of their relationship could invite jealousy. It was a weird theory, however it was what she believed. Today, after almost twenty days she had slipped the ring back on her finger.

It felt nice, to have the familiar weight of the ring back on. She smiled to herself.

"2 hafte baad chutti mili hai.. yeh nahi kay aaram kar lein. Aa gayi uthte hi seedha kitchen mein." Rita Maa admonished her, good naturedly.

Shehnaaz grinned sheepishly.

Maa walked up to her and kissed her forehead. "Kya khaayegi meri gudiya aaj?" She asked.

Shehnaaz puckered her lips thoughtfully, "Daal-chawal aur achaar."

Rita Maa chuckled, "Tujhe bhi aadat lag gayi, daal-chawal ki?"

"Tasty hote hai.." She defended quietly.

Rita Maa nodded, grinning softly. "Banwaati hoon. Jaa, baith baahar jaa ke mein doodh laayi."

Shehnaaz was about to respond in protest, but then she stopped noticing the look on her mother's face. She conceded, nodding her head and left the kitchen.

A few minutes later, Rita Maa walked out of the kitchen to see Shehnaaz plopped on the couch, cuddling to her teddy, snow.

She smiled at Shehnaaz and sat next to her, handing her the mug of milk. "Fatafat pee ja!"

Shehnaaz pouted, scrunching her nose. Maa gave her a stern look. "Poora hafta chai coffee pe zinda rahi hai.. chup chaap doodh khatam kar warna chittar padenge."

Shehnaaz nodded hurriedly, and gulped the milk down her throat, then she looked up at Rita Maa with a cute pout. "Done."

Maa smiled, kissing her forehead. "Good girl."

***

Siddharth placed the mug of coffee on the table in front of him and looked up. Kushal smiled.

"How's shooting going on?" Siddharth asked.

"Actually, much better than I anticipated." Kushal said with an undertone of amazement.

Siddharth chuckled. "Shehnaaz keeps talking my ear off, about all of you. She's having the time of her life on that set." He confessed.

"She's the life of that set." Kushal responded. "Practically the whole cast is smitten with her."

"She's mine, alright."

Kushal nudged him teasingly, "Someone sounds jealous."

"I'm not jealous."

Kushal clicked his tongue, "Sure buddy. Whatever you say!"

"She's doing alright, isn't she?" Siddharth asked, concern lining his features heavily.

"Absolutely. She's perfect." Kushal said sincerely.

Siddharth smiled. "I know. I believe you, it's just that I think she needs to be reminded of that, more often. She's trying so hard." He said softly, Kushal could almost hear his love, his concern in Siddharth's voice.