Chapter Sixty Two

"Cut!" The director called out and the lights went off. "Packup!"

Sidharth plopped on the couch, breathing heavily. He waved his team over, someone handed him a sealed bottle of mineral water. "Thanks." He mumbled, not bothering to look up at the person.

The scene that they had been shooting for was too emotionally exhausting. His character, Mrityunjay's wife Gauri had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease following a traumatic accident and in the scene, Gauri had been unable to recognize her husband and had even refused to accept that she was married. Even after Mrityunjay's best efforts, he couldn't get his wife to remember anything and thus, the scene had ended with Sidharth's character watching helplessly as the love of his life walked away.

Sidharth closed his eyes, in a sincere effort to calm himself down. He knew this was just a scene in a work of fiction, but sometimes, somehow despite knowing that we're only having a nightmare, we wake up scared and shaken, in cold sweat. His condition was similar.

Sidharth knew this could never happen to him, but it was the worst thing that potentially could happen.

Sometimes, it's not the truth that haunts us, it's the possibilities, the worst, the weirdest of possibilities. The impossible what ifs!

Sidharth was busy trying to get himself to come out of the story when he felt a pair of arms wrapping around him, almost tentatively, as if unsure of their actions, of his reaction.

But he knew who it was. He could recognize that touch even with his eyes closed. Sidharth leaned into the warm, safe pair of arms. Drawing courage, strength. Soon enough, he heard the soft soothing melody of a voice, whispering sweet nothings in his ear. The pair of arms now wound tighter around him.

"Don't you dare walk away." Sidharth said hoarsely. "Don't you f**kin'--"

"Never." She whispered, drawing him closer. "I will never walk away from you."

It took him a long few minutes to find the will and the courage to come out of her embrace and he was grateful that no one from the unit or his team had interrupted the moment and embarrassed him.

Sidharth looked up at Shehnaaz, almost in awe of her. She didn't look worried, or surprised. She didn't even look bothered about Sidharth's breakdown. She rubbed his back gently. "Better?" She asked in the softest of whispers.

Sidharth nodded.

"The director had called pack-up ten minutes ago. The team is in the observation room, going through shooting footage. Do you want to go see them?" She asked softly.

"When did you get here?" Sidharth asked, realising for the first time in the last ten minutes that his fiancé, his Superstar, was not supposed to be here.

"An hour ago. You're not the only one who enjoys watching your spouse perform." Shehnaaz confessed.

"You have impeccable timing." Sidharth said approvingly.

Shehnaaz smiled. "I went through this project. I knew the story. I cheated a little, and told your team to alert me when this particular schedule goes on floor."

Sidharth looked at her, as if he was watching her for the first time. His little baby bird, his Superstar was here, just for him. She took all the trouble, arranged for herself to be unoccupied and available for him.

He had never really thought of his past relationships, even since his eyes had landed on her in that restaurant, all those months ago. He wasn't thinking about his past today either, but he knew none of his so-called lovers from his past relationships would care enough to do something like that.