Chapter Eighty Four

Shehnaaz's heartbeat was irregular, hands resting on her lap, fingers playing with each-other. She was waiting in her room, slightly anxious, slightly lightheaded as the night drew closer. 

At this point, she was doing everything in her power to stop herself from biting her lip harshly. She barely noticed the soft buzz of conversation in the room, or the fact that her mother-in-law had just entered the room. 

Rita Maa glanced around the room, smiling at everyone in turn and walked up to where Shehnaaz was sitting in front of the mirror. She placed a gentle hand on Shehnaaz's shoulder, looking at the new bride in the mirror across from her. 

She looked incredible

"Maa.." Shehnaaz smiled, almost relieved to see the woman standing behind her. Rita Maa smiled. "Bahot pyaari lag rahi hai gudiya." 

Shehnaaz looked down at her lap, blushing. 

"Sidharth wait kar raha hai tera baahar." Maa's voice was laced with mischief and teasing. Shehnaaz blushed deeper, not a word escaping her lips.

Rita Maa pressed a gentle kiss on the top of her head.

"Tu theek hai beta?" She asked softly.

Shehnaaz shrugged, "I don't know." 

Maa wrapped her arms around the younger girl, rubbing her shoulder comfortingly. "Kucch change nahi hoga bacche. Tu, Siddharth, mai.. hum sab waise hi rahenge. Ghabra mat." 

Shehnaaz nodded. 

The occupants of the room, Kratika, Jenny and kushal smiled at the duo. The bride and the bride's mother. That's how they looked. That's how they were, at that moment. The comfort, the reliability, the trust. 

"It's all okay." She whispered softly. "You're coming home."

Shehnaaz smiled. "I am." 

***

Shehnaaz's brothers held the ends of a heavily decorated flower canopy above her head while she walked down the aisle towards Siddharth. She gulped soundlessly, looking up at her husband, seeing him for the first time that night. A tear escaped his eyes and Shehnaaz almost gasped but Sidharth shook his head imperceptibly, mouthing words.

You look like an angel.

Her heart felt full as she unconsciously moved closer to Aarav, not tearing her gaze away from Sidharth. Aarav threaded his fingers through her bejeweled hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. 

Siddharth smiled at her and walked down the stairs, off the high stage. 

The crowd of family went wild with screams and hooting as Shehnaaz reached the edge of the stairs to be greeted by Sidharth's affectionate smile and outstretched hand. "Mrs. Shukla."

Shehnaaz let out a soft, watery giggle and placed her palm on Siddharth's, which he clasped tightly, as he carefully led her onto the stage.

Shehnaaz's bridal party stopped at the foot of the stairs, watching the couple settle on their seats. Once the few, choice family members, including their mother, Preeti, Neetu, Aarav and Rajveer had had their fill of talking to the couple, Siddharth and Shehnaaz were asked to stand across from each-other for Jai-Mala. 

Samyukta rushed upstage holding a huge metal plate with two flower garlands. She handed one to each of them and stepped behind Shehnaaz. Kushal, Rajveer, Nishita and Aarav followed after, standing right behind Shehnaaz. Sidharth's cousins, Kabir, Nik and Priyashi along with Rita Maa stood by Sidharth, cheering him on.