Chapter 27

"Alright then!" the attention was once again turned to the old man on the throne. He stood up, having in response, all the courtiers stand. I had been very well acclimatized to this and I was proud for not being confused ,rather standing up along with them- as a part of this court.

As Neel's girlfriend.

"I have 2 announcements to make. First, the full moon day within 2 months is an auspicious day, Yug and my daughter Aarini, will get engaged on that day." There was a great chaos- a good chaos- following this announcement. Aarini standing next to his father, looking at him in awe, then blushing while stealing glances at Yug, who was himself painted red with this announcement, occasionally bowing down to thank the ministers who mouthed him 'congratulations'

"And this is not all." The old voice had shut the court back to pin drop silence. "I, along with Aarini and Neel shall be moving to the Central Palace tomorrow." Now this was surprise, a good one. Unexpected. More to Neel than anyone else. He seemed baffled, confused, puzzled. But over anything-happy. He looked at me, not smiling, but contented. Satisfaction brimming his eyes.

His father smiled at him, at not just that superficial smile, a genuine, real one. A one that said 'sorry', one that said 'it'll be fine henceforth'.

"I want you to not announce this to anyone, not even your mother. I want to surprise her." The former king continued and Neel just nodded in agreement. Too speechless to say a yes or no.

---

"Did you know?" Neel asked me. We had managed to steal time post lunch, walking around in the corridors of his personal quarters. They were silent. We weren't on any risk of getting caught by anyone.

"Know what?"

"That father knew about Yug and Aarini?" I knew this question was coming. This had to come one time or the other.

"Hmm" I looked away. Scared of how he would react. Maybe he would shout and be disappointed, telling me how it should have waited for his decision. That father doesn't know anything since he has been locked up for a while and the world has changed. That now he cannot over rule his decision and that we have given the life of his sister in 'wrong hands' and now everything is hopeless and wild.

I was preparing myself to answer those questions.

But on the contrary he just kept quiet, his face, like always, had that unreadable expression which compelled me to continue

"Aarini got impulsive last night, and went to your father to confess." I sighed. He nodded clearly already half way in to his deep thoughts.

"Are you seriously not okay with Yug?" I asked again.

He sighed, pulling himself mentally out of wherever he has been. "It's not like that." He spoke half-heartedly. Paused. Took a deep breath in and eventually continued. "Yug is nice. He is amazing infact. And if he has had the courage to accept his feelings in front of royal court, despite knowing the potential consequence, I am sure, there is no other man I can trust on, with Aarini except for him, but-"

"So what's the issue?"

"Queen mother! She wouldn't be very pleased. She might go to an extent to break this whole thing down and I don't what can I do. She-" he took a pause to catch his breath and collect his words. "She can destroy this."

Right. Queen mother. None of us had thought about her. What would she do.

"do you think she'll be okay with us dating?" He might perhaps not be expecting me to say anything , that when I spoke he was caught off-guard.