Four

Who was the worst grade-school teacher you ever had and why?

Emery followed a wordless Five as he trekked through the night, walking the sidewalks and taking back routes that Emery would have never thought of all the while keeping the same ambling pace that was somehow fast and slow. For someone who had just killed many men, the boy was embracing his life as a kid and there was a slight jump to each step. It was infuriating.

"Come on." Five said when they reached a building. Without another word, the boy started climbing. Hooking his foot onto a lower ledge and pulling himself up with his arms hooked onto the next one, Emery followed Five as they scaled the side of some building and climbed into a window the boy easily opened.

"Why are we here?" He asked, looking around the room they had landed in while Five slumped back in a chair with little care.

"This is Vanya's place." Five spread his arms wide as if he didn't just illegally barge into his sister's apartment. "And we are here because I can trust her. We need someone else on our side. Don't turn on the lights." Five broke off suddenly. Standing before the light switch, Emery stilled his movements and gave up, letting his hands fall to his sides so Five could bask in the ominous dark.

"You're one for dramatics I see." He muttered under his breath though Five could still easily hear.

He wondered through the room, noticing the way the brown walls donned different marks and scratches for the number of years they had been forced to endure this life and how the chair legs creaked beneath Five every time he shifted-- which was scarce seeing the boy seemed perfectly at ease in his position.

A violin sat awaiting on an uncushioned chair and Emery found himself entranced by it as he ran his eyes along the dips and grooves, noting the tightness of the strings and the hair on the bow. He always admired violins and violinists. After all, his own mother had once been quite gifted with the craft.

The pair waited in silence and Emery soaked in it; welcomed it as he leaned against the wall by the wide windows. He hadn't realized how much he relished in it, never having before. Maybe Five was enough to make him cherish any moment spent not listening to the boy chew him or anyone else out.

The door creaked and Emery could hear its cringed protesting as someone worked the lock outside. Shifting, he craned his head so he could see the entrance in a better light and waited as the door swung open and a figure emerged.

"Jesus." Vanya jumped when Five finally turned on a goddamned light, revealing himself like a villain in a kid's show.

"You should have locks on your windows." Five stated blankly.

"I live on the second floor," Vanya said, setting down her still on the furnace.

"Rapists can climb." Five stated blatantly.

"You are so weird," Vanya said, resigned. She sighed and closed the door behind her, coming over to the unoccupied couch and sitting down, looking beyond exhausted. She offered a small smile and nodded in greeting to Emery, masking her surprise at his presence. Emery smiled back, soft and somber.

"Is that blood?" Vanya did a double-take as she looked at Five and Emery.

Looking down like he was just reminded he had an arm attached to his body, Five shrugged dismissively. "It's nothing." Five said, unworried.

A small pause in which Vanya looked at Emery again and then Five. "Why are you here?"

Five sighed and shifted. "I've decided you're the only one I can trust."

"Why me? What about him- Emery?"

Five lifted a brow and shifted so he turned at the waist. Spending a single second giving Emery a once over, Five returned back to his original position and spoke.