Twenty-two

Would you rather go scuba diving or zip lining?

The rumbling didn't stop in fact- it only seemed to intensify with every step Emery took.

"What's going on?" Klaus asked as Emery passed by them.

"No time." He said. "Get out."

"Let's go!" Diego demanded as he pulled Klaus along. "We need to get mom before the whole place crumbles."

Emery continued on, bounding up the steps as cracks formed along the walls and fire built up around them.

He raced through the halls, desperately looking for Five's room. He hadn't known where the boy was or if he'd come back to the Academy and if he had- where.

Emery ducked purely on instinct as an explosion nearby sent piles of debris his way. He rolled out of the way and covered his head with his hands as dust covered him like a warning blanket and settled even as he coughed and pushed himself up, wincing through the pain.

"Five?" He asked when he caught sight of a figure rounding the corner. He pushed forward, the door nearly catching on a broken railing and toppling him forward but he righted himself and moved forward. "Five- we have to get out." He said, falling short when he reached Five's doorway only to see the room empty and untouched- as untouched as it could get in a house that was falling apart around it. "Shit." He said, whirling around to find the figure he had thought was Five.

It was Vanya.

Her eyes were a stark white, striking as she walked through the house in a calm rushed gate. Rooms exploded behind her as she walked, gaze set distraught forward. She caught his gaze or- would have if it didn't look like she was looking straight through him. But that just made it all the more unsettling as Emery booked it down the hall, throwing himself over the banister, and landed on the main floor with a thud. He dropped to his knees to minimize the impact was leaped out of the way when the bottom of the steps gave a dull buzz before they exploded outwards, pushing Emery along with it.

He sat up, coughing, and looked around. The night sky was above him now. Vanya must have finished destroying the rest of the Academy. He hacked for a moment longer, clearing the dust from his chest as he stood up and moved through the wreckage until he found Diego and Klaus.

"Stop stop!" Klaus said, grabbing onto Diego who was sorting through the wreckage, searching for their mother. "She's gone. She- she's gone." Klaus said sorrowfully.

"Let me go, what are you doing?!"

"She's gone, okay? She's..."

"So what do you wanna do? You wanna— wanna w-w-walk away from this?"

"No." Klaus replied, response little more than a whisper.

"What about Pogo?" Diego asked.

"He didn't make it." A new voice said. Luther.

"What?"

"Vanya killed him." Luther said sourly.

"But Vanya couldn't."

"No, I saw it." Luther insisted. "Just before we got out."

Emery sighed. "He's right. Vanya she- she's different. Not herself."

"Mom. Now Pogo." Diego said, sinking to his knees in the wreckage.

Emery's frown deepened and then furthermore when Five came stumbling in, waving a piece of paper in front of him.

"Guys." He said, voice shaky. "This is it. The apocalypse is still on. The world ends today."

"I thought you said it was over." Klaus said.