Fifteen

What was the worst class you've ever taken and regretted?

The Hargreeves family didn't dally when they had their minds set on something. Within the span of a singular minute, everyone sticking with Five's idea was seated in the car and they were speeding forward towards the police station, Five at the wheel.

They followed most of the legal laws that accompanied driving but since Five was physically and logistically a young teen boy, they were already breaking the rule about letting 'minors' drive let alone rules about speed limits and stopping at red lights. If they ever survived this thing, Emery was never going to get into any sort of vehicle with Five Hargreeves ever again. 

"I know this Jenkins dude has to have a record." Diego said when they rolled to a stop in front of a station. "We just gotta get our hands on his file."

"And your plan is to what? Waltz in there and just ask for it?" Allison asked, ever the voice of reason.

"I know the station like the back of my hand, sis. I've spent a lot of time inside."

"Handcuffed, perhaps?" Emery ventured.

"Whatever. Here's the plan."

"Plan?" Five intervened. "I'm just going to blink in and get the file."

Emery shrugged. "Easy." Whatever Diego's plan was, he hated to admit it but sending Five in would be the better choice for everyone involved.

"No, that's not... you don't know the ins and outs of this place, okay?" Diego said.

"I literally just did this yesterday."

"What?"

"You mean today yesterday?" Emery said, remembering once more about how Five managed to relive the same day twice. He ran a hand over his bandaged hand. "Yesterday today?" Everyone looked at Emery, confusion donning their faces.

"Yes, my yesterday. Not your yesterday." Five said. "It'll take me two seconds."

"Listen to me. You are not going in there. I made a call. That's what a leader does. He leads." Diego said, getting out of the car.

They all followed but the black-clad man was the only one who further advanced to the doors of the police station while Emery, Allison, and Five went to the street corner, Allison picking up the pay phone and dialing Vanya's number.

"Hey, do you uh, think I could borrow that after you?" Emery said when Allison finished dialing the numbers.

She looked at him, surprised before she let a gentle smile fall onto her lips. "Sure."

"Thanks." Emery said, moving to lean against the nearest building wall as he waited, Five joining his side a moment later.

Emery could feel the boy's curious gaze but chose to ignore it completely. He knew the boy wanted to ask who he was planning on calling and he knew the boy wouldn't like his answer so he ignored the prospect of the conversation completely.

"It's crazy how we always end up like this," Emery said instead. "Side by side even though we've both made it clear we would murder each other with enough reason."

Five laughed hollowly. "Yeah." A pause. "Hey, I'm sorry for being rude to you earlier. It was just- we finally have a lead and if you're not focusing one hundred percent, something is going to go wrong. And we can't afford that right now. I know I get in my head sometimes but you've got to understand this is important."

Emery laughed too though it was silent and the smile didn't reach his eyes. He crossed his arms. "We always end up like this too." He said. "Apologizing for the things we did in the last. And then we're going to fight again and then maybe apologies when we're feeling like our moral compasses are lacking."