Twenty-one

Do you usually express your thoughts or keep them to yourself?

Immediately, tears began to well up in her eyes as she took in Emery's stunned form. Hands bandaged and eyes wounded just upon seeing her. He ran a subconscious hand along the width of his chest, hands hovering for a moment longer before they fell away.

"Emery..." Vanya said, voice broken.

"Hey, Vanya." Emery said softly, issuing a smile. "Did you get my message?" He asked.

Vanya nodded mutely and then Emery was sucking in a breath, stepping forward, and embracing the girl in a hug. They were nearly the same height and the moment Vanya relaxed, Emery squeezed her harder. Just for a moment before he released her.

"Are you ok?" He asked when they pulled apart.

"I think I should be asking you that question." She said.

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Five?" Vanya asked though her eyes told him she didn't believe his answer one bit.

"He-"

"Vanya?" Luther interrupted, coming down the stairs.

A new onslaught of tears pooled around Vanya's eyes now.

"Is Allison..."

"She survived."

"Thank God." Vanya exhaled, slowly walking forward- meeting Luther halfway at the base of the steps.

"What happened?" The man asked.

"We got in an argument." Vanya took a shaky breath in. "And things got out of control. I didn't mean to hurt her. Please you have to believe me."

"I do."

"It was an accident. I was... I was angry, and... it just happened." She paused. "Could I see her?" She asked, timid and hopeful.

"She's resting now. Maybe later." Luther replied softly.

"Is it okay if I wait here for a bit?" She asked.

"Of course. This is your home." Luther replied distantly as he opened his arms.

"I'm sorry," Vanya said. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she tied out as she fell into her brother's arms. "I didn't mean it... I didn't mean..."

"I can see that Vanya." Luther said.

Emery subconsciously wrapped his arms around himself, crossing his arms more to give himself something to do. He didn't know if he should leave or not, didn't know what he was allowed to do and what not to; what he should and shouldn't do at this moment.

Vanya's cries subsided in an instant then, followed by a struggled call of his name. "Luther, you're hurting me." She gasped out.

Emery unclamped his arms and took a step forward.

"Luther-" he warned as the place started rumbling; vibrating.

"I'm sorry too, Vanya." Luther said, squeezing tighter.

"S-stop." Vanya struggled out. "Please stop." The rumbling got louder and louder still until-

"I'm sorry." Luther said as Vanya went limp in his arms and the rumbling subsided.

"Luther, what do you do?" Emery hissed, racing to Vanya's side and supporting her.

"I did what I had to, Emery. It's best if you stayed out of it."

"I'm as much a part of this as you are."

"Yeah, maybe when dealing with the apocalypse but that's over now. This is a family matter. And you aren't family." He said, taking Vanya off of him and moving down the hall and down a new set of stairs Emery hadn't known existed before this.