Ten

What does everyone want to do in the future? Job? Major? Travel?

In light of figuring out Emery could snatch the light from the room in a simple sweep of his hand, Luther had set out to find the rest of the truths that had been hidden from him and had eventually convinced a much aggravated and now sober Five to tell him everything.

"When's it supposed to happen? This... apocalypse." He said when Five had finished giving him the rundown.

"Well, I can't give you the exact date but from what I could gather, we have four days left." Five said, the number hanging heavy in the air. Emery felt his chest seize up; the air pulled from his lungs but he inhaled anyway. The world was ending and what was he doing. Sleeping with a Hargreeves boy?

"Why didn't you say something sooner?" Luther asked

"It wouldn't have mattered."

"Of course it would. We could've banded together and helped you try to stop this thing."

"For the record, you already tried." Five said, voice somber. Emery's eyes flitted up from where he was memorizing the details of his shoes and looked to Five with a questioning gaze. He was sure Luther was donning the same.

"What do you mean?" The man asked.

Five closed his eyes for a long while and struggled to find and speak the words without choking. "I found all of you." He said. "Your bodies."

"We die?"

"Horribly." Five's voice wavered. "You were together. Trying to stop whoever it was that ends the world."

"Wait, how do you know that?" Luther asked.

Five reached into his pocket and pulled out the eye. "This was clutched in your dead hand when I found you. Must've ripped it out of their head right before you went down."

"Who's head?"Luther asked, observing the eyeball.

"Like I said, I don't know."

"Well, there's a serial number on the back. Think maybe you could try-"

"Not worth it." Emery sighed as he stood up, his legs suddenly screaming at him to move move move.

"It's a dead end." Five agreed with a humorless laugh. "It's just another hunk of glass."

Luther handed the eye back and they lapsed into silence. "What's he doing here then?" Luther asked after a moment. "What's his part in all of this? Does he die too?"

Emery found himself looking to Five. Did he die? Among all the things Five had entrusted him with, Five always fell short when talking about him and the future.

"I didn't see him." Five said. "Maybe he's just an anomoly, maybe he was suppsed to be in France when it happens, maybe he was never meant to meet us but he's here now so that must mean something." Five said. "I just don't know what." His voice drifted as well as his eyes that refused to meet Emery's burning gaze.

Emery knew what Five meant though. The boy didn't know if he was a threat, an ally, or a nobody. And so far, Five had looked at him like he was all three.

Then the door burst open and Diego stormed in with a menacing finger lifted.

"Do you have any idea what you just did?" He said, approaching Five. He looked like he was going to murder the boy if Emery hadn't stepped in the way and Luther hadn't come up behind to restrain Diego's hands. "Nope, let me-- Get your ape hands off of me!" Diego demanded as he was lifted from the ground. Emery stood back, still making sure Five was at his back.