3. Taking This Too Far.

"Madeline…" Lucy stated, concern clear in her voice as she watched the brunette pace across the modern living room of her penthouse on the phone with someone for the umpteenth time. "Don't you think you're maybe taking this too far?" She scrunched up her face, trying to deliver the question as gently as she could. 

"Taking what too far?" Madeline countered, hanging up without any warning and stopping in her tracks as she turned to face the woman resting on the crisp white sofa. 

"Your interest in that waiter from last night?" Lucy sighed, miffed that she had been invited over for the first time in a year only to be completely ignored while Madeline gathered intel on a random server. 

"Nonsense!" She huffed defensively, writing something new down in the bullet journal she had been carrying around all morning. "I just know the fundamental things, like his full name is Rory John Graham, his address is 2142 O'Connell Street, he's twenty years old, and he's majoring in business at the local state college." She said off-handedly. 

"Maddie…" Lucy bit her lips to keep from getting heated at her, and instead replied in a tone of mortified exasperation, "that's the definition of taking things too far." 

"Maybe so," she agreed after several moments of consideration, her normally confident posture drooping. "but how am I supposed to protect him if I don't know anything about him?"

"Why do you need to protect him?" The blonde tilted her head in confusion, trying to understand why she was so invested. "He's just a random guy." 

"No, he's more than that!" She snapped, crossing her arms defensively. "He's the one from that dream of mine! So I'm going to protect him, I'm going to save him!" She insisted heatedly as she began to pace again.

"Are you sure it wasn't… just a dream?" Lucy asked hesitantly, cringing as soon as it left her mouth. 

"You think I'm crazy, don't you?" Madeline asked flatly, turning away from her companion. 

"I never said that!" The blonde stood up from the designer sofa, her turn to get heated. "I-I just think you might be creating connections that aren't there-"

"Lucy, you are like a sister to me," Madeline said as she glanced over her shoulder at the woman in question. "You've known me for years, you know what my dreams are like." Her hands balled into tight fists, crumpling the pages of the notebook she had been writing in so studiously.  

"Yes but-" 

"I know I sound crazy, but you know I'm telling the truth," her voice trembled, conveying a rare surge in emotion. "The last time I had a dream like this, I ignored it because I thought it was crazy, and Tiffany died a week later." 

Several tears traced their way down Madeline's cheeks and the silence hung heavy in the penthouse living room at the mention of that name. Lucy felt her throat constrict and she was at a loss for what to say. 

"It's fine if you think I'm crazy, but I won't ignore a warning like that again!" The brunette snapped dismissively, wiping the tears from her cheeks and straightening her posture. "I don't care if you hate me for it." 

"Maddie, I could never hate you," Lucy said, as she tentatively approached and took her hands in hers. "I will always support you, no matter what. Just promise me that, whatever happens, you won't lose yourself." 

"I promise Luli," Madeline, eyes shone with unshed tears as she pulled her into a close embrace. "I don't know what I'd do without you…" she murmured into her ear.

"No, I don't know what I'd do without you," Lucy responded with a playful laugh, pulling away enough to show her a broad grin, empathetic tears shining in her crystal blue eyes. "Now come one, don't you have a cute college boy to save?" She teased, pecking her on the cheek before pulling her over to sit on the couch and go over the information she had gathered together. 

. . . 

Madeline straightened her blazer as she approached the corner convenience store her informant told her Rory had worked at. She shuddered at the thought of such a sweet boy living in that sketchy neighborhood, but that was something to deal with in the future. Wrinkling her nose in distaste as her hand came in contact with the grimy handle, she pulled the door open and stepped inside the cramped convenience store.

"What can I do for you?" The squat and mustached man behind the counter asked gruffly, doing a double-take when he saw the tall woman in the pantsuit standing in the doorway. 

"Direct, I like that." She approached the counter, her heels clicking against the tile floor. "I'm looking for the previous employer of Rory Graham, is that you?" 

"Yeah, that brat used to work here, I fired him, what of it?" He sneered, a cruel smile stretching his wide face. 

Working during finals, no wonder he was so scattered Madeline thought, pursing her lips in pity as she remembered how flustered and preoccupied he had been. "Well, the thing is, you didn't pay him for his work this month." She commented, tapping her manicured nails against the scuffed countertop.

"Why should I?" The man scoffed, crossing his arms defensively. "Brat was a terrible worker." 

Concealing her irritation, her hazel eyes darted to the boxes of disorganized cigarettes and chewing tobacco stashed lazily beneath the counter. "That's quite the selection of cigarettes you have. I wonder if you have a license to sell tobacco though, it would be a shame if someone came to investigate wouldn't it?" She smirked as she heard him take in a small breath, giving himself away. 

"What do you want?" He growled, openly glaring at her now. 

"Pay Rory in full for the whole of the month, now," she said sweetly, but the command was still clear. 

She stared at him intimidatingly as he filled out a check, grumbling profanities as he slipped it into an envelope and put a stamp on it. 

Madeline snatched it from him as soon as the address was written, not trusting him to mail it after she left. "Thank you for your time," she flashed him a sickeningly sweet smile before turning to leave, her heels clicking. 

"Bitch," the store owner spat, red in the face as he glared after her. 

"Have a nice day," she waved cheerfully as she kicked over a rack of postcards by the door, scattering them across the tiles before exiting the dingy corner store with a smug grin. 

A/N

Madeline is such a girlboss! I hope you like her as a protagonist even though she isn't the usual Y/N.

Thank you for reading, and

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~