13. PTSD.

Rory stood in his apartment, trembling from head to foot as he watched his door boing back and forth under the pressure of being slammed into. With a splintering of wood, the lock gave way, leaving only the antique deadbolt protecting him from the thugs trying to break in.

He wanted to run and hide, he wanted to scream for help, but he couldn't move. He was frozen in place as the deadbolt came loose from the frame, the door slammed open and gang members poured in. They pounced on him, pushing him to the ground. 

"Give us your wallet and your phone," the roughest of the bunch growled as the others began feeling him down for his valuables. 

"s-sure," Rory's voice shook with fear as he agreed to their demands at once. "Please don't hurt me," he begged as they roughly took his flip phone and worn-out wallet from his pocket. 

"What is this shit?!" The first one growled, looking at Rory's battered phone and wallet with only a few bills. "Where's the rest of it?!" he demanded, discarding them on the ground as he bent down to be on Rory's level. 

"I-I don't have anything else," he said, tears welling in his eyes in fear as he heard their demands.

"TELL US WHERE THE REST OF THE MONEY IS YOU LYING PIECE OF SHIT!" He punctuated his insult by kicking Rory squarely in the ribs.

He gasped for breath, curling up in response to the pain as he bit his lip to keep his whimpers inside. "There isn't any," he pleaded desperately. "Please PLEASE don't hurt me! I-I can get more money I-" 

A knife was slid into his chest as one of the goons pulled him up before tossing him roughly on the ground. He gasped helplessly for air as the thugs turned away.

"Come on, let's get the hell out before someone calls the cops," the leader growled as he stomped to the broken door. 

Moments later, Rory was alone in his vandalized apartment clutching at the knife in his chest as his blood poured out of him, pooling on the floor around. It-it's cold… oh god I-I don't want to die… he forced his eyes open wider but that didn't stop the room around him from growing increasingly blurry and dark

As soon as his vision devolved into complete darkness Rory sat bolt upright gasping for air, as he looked around his room in a panic. I-I can't breathe! I-I think I'm having a panic attack- 

No matter how much he gasped, the air never seemed to reach his lungs. The dark confines of his room warped and stretched. He clutched at his chest, the feeling of being stabbed still all too real. 

Struggling to breathe as tears began to slide down his face as he threw off the covers and stumbled out of bed. Entering the hallway that seemed to be closing in around him like a giant mouth he hurried forward with one thought in mind, not being alone. 

"M-Madeline?" He called, his soft voice croaky and uneven as he pushed her bedroom door open. 

"Rory…" Madeline mumbled, still half asleep. She sat up and turned on the lamp at her bedside, golden light suddenly filled the room as the blankets fell away, revealing the silk gown she wore. Her face twisted into a look of instant concern as she saw his distressed state. "Rory?! What is it? What's wrong?!" 

"I can't breathe," He clutched at his chest trying to explain, but he could bearly get any words out between the rapidity of his gasps. "I-I can't- I can't-" 

"Shhh, I'm here. Take some deep breaths with me, ok?" Madeline stood from the bed and slowly approached him, her tone as gentle as ever as she demonstrated deep and steady breaths. "In and out, that's it. Can I touch you?" she asked, opening her arms, but keeping a comfortable distance between them.