6. Spark of Romance.

"HE'S WHAT?!" Madeline shouted, bolting up from her desk and slamming her hands down against the dark wooden surface.  

"Rory's gone out drinking with his friends," the private investigator repeated from the other end of the line, "they're celebrating his twenty-first birthday."

"Where?" Madeline demanded, her tone stern. 

"Some dingy bar called Murphy's. I remember when I was younger, my friend and I-"

Madeline hung up on him without waiting another second, she had more important things to do than listen to him reminisce about poor life decisions. She left her home office and sent a message to her driver as she crossed her penthouse to the elevator and got in. 

She tapped her foot impatiently as she watched the numbers tick down. After what felt like forever, she arrived in the grand lobby and marched through the front doors to see her car and driver waiting by the curb for her. 

. . . 

He isn't enjoying himself! Can't those 'friends' of his see that?! She thought indignantly as she watched Rory and his group from a secluded booth on the other side of the rustic pub as the drunken ham of the group pressured him into finishing his drink. 

Her stomach twisted sickly as several minutes later the same clown stumbled back to the table carrying a tray of shots, and the college students began to chant as Rory reluctantly picked up a glass. No! Stop pressuring him to drink more! This is how kids get alcohol poisoning! She thought, wringing her hands in her lap as she continued to watch in silent dismay.

Her alarm only grew when she saw one of the intoxicated girls pushing herself up against Rory and provocatively touching his thigh. Oh great! Now she's trying to get in his pants! He's in no state to make a rational choice! She tried to justify getting involved, ignoring the unexpected flare of jealousy in her heart as she abruptly stood. That's it! I'm stepping in!

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" Rory shouted in a voice loud enough to catch the attention of the whole pub as he shoved her away and curled into himself. 

Oh, what a good boy, unlike those so-called 'friends', Madeline let out a sigh of relief, though her eyes still glared as she watched first the girl, then the guy who had been forcing drinks on Rory stumble drunkenly out of the pub. 

She watched as the blonde got to his feet unsteadily, her heart skipping a beat as he tripped over his untied shoelaces. She lunged forward as he plummeted and managed to catch him before he hit the ground. He looked up but between his dilated pupils and the way he was squinting it was clear he couldn't tell who she was. 

"Oh you poor thing," she murmured, stroking his cheek tenderly before helping him to his feet, never releasing her supportive grip around his shoulders. "don't worry Rory, I'll help you home." She guided the unsteady college student through the red door of the pub. 

"Who-who?" He stumbled over his words, looking at her suspiciously, nevertheless clinging onto her for support as they walked slowly down the dark city street.  "Don't feel good…" he mumbled, clutching his stomach and looking at her pleadingly. 

"What is it? thirsty?" She asked in a worried tone, leaning down to his level and slowing the pace of their walking. "Wait, have you eaten anything today?" Her heart sank as she realized the private investigator had said nothing about him going out to eat that day. 

He could only shake his head in response, still clutching his stomach, his face tinged green. 

How irresponsible can your friends get?! Even Amy has more sense than that! Madeline thought about her partyer of a sister, raging internally, as she pulled Rory along to a nearby corner food stand. She tapped her foot impatiently, and once the food and bottled water was handed over she thrust a hundred-dollar bill at the vendor, not bothering to get her change as she led Rory across the street to a small park.

Guiding him to rest on a park bench overlooking the roiling black water of a river carving its way through the urban setting. Once he was settled she sat down next to him. "I hope you like onion rings," she said, handing him them while she opened the bottled water. "Her, drink up." 

"W-who are you?" He asked as soon as his mouth was empty of the water she kept encouraging him to drink.

"I'm Madeline," She answered after a moment's hesitation, picking up an onion ring and offering it to him.

"Well, I think you're pretty Madeldeline," he stumbled over her name in his intoxicated state, "like really really beautiful! Are you a movie star… you should be a movie star!" He started up at her with wide eyes, the awe on his face clear even in the dim light cast by the street lamps.  

"No, I'm not, but thank you." She chuckled, ruffling his hair as she fed him another small onion ring. "You're a sweetheart in person huh…" she murmured to herself, a warm fuzzy feeling in her chest. 

"I'm not sweet!" He pouted childishly, puffing out his cheeks. Moments later though his eyes began to droop and his pout was distorted by a comically large yawn. "I'm cold and tired… can I sleep here?" He mumbled as he tried to lay down on her lap. 

"You can't sleep on a park bench," she chided him gently, practically holding him up as she helped him stand. "Come on Rory, let's get you home."

"Tired…" he slurred as he hung off her, already half asleep. 

"I know Rory," She soothed him as she supported him to the other end of the block, where his apartment was. Once they arrived at the locked door of the dingy pawn shop she made use of her key clone to slip inside. She supported him up the stairs and used her second key copy to unlock the door. "Come on, let's get you into bed." 

She guided him to the small mattress, and he flopped down on it at once. Not even bothering to remove his clothes. 

"You silly boy, you really had me worried, you know that?" She reprimanded him sternly, but her expression softened when she saw that he was already fast asleep. "You're 'friends' were so reckless tonight, pressuring you to have drinks and sex, and then leaving you alone. If I wasn't there to protect you any number of terrible things could have happened." She moved a few stray hairs out of his face as she bit her lip in paranoia. 

"And seeing that girl cling onto you like that, I know I'm supposed to protect you, but I couldn't help the jealousy I felt!" she admitted shamefully, looking down at her hands as she realized her feelings for him may have grown more than she realized. "you're just so cute." 

Her eyes locked on his small, round lips, luminated by the street lamps outside. Transfixed she leaned forward, wondering if a single kiss was so much to ask for after all she had done to protect him.

"No," she whispered, placing a tender kiss on his forehead instead, her dark lipstick leaving a mark. "For now I will be content being your protector." 

She rose from the bed, careful not to wake the sleeping boy. She covered him with blankets, resolving to get a care package for him from the nearby 24-hour store since she couldn't help him with his hangover in the morning personally. 

Reaching the doorway of his tiny apartment, she turned to look at the boy who had given her some sense of purpose again, her fondness for him growing. "Goodnight Rory," she whispered, her voice filled with warmth. 

A/N

I thought this chapter was really cute, but I'm curious to know what you think. Do you ship Madeline and Rory?

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~