16. I Think I Love You.

Two figures sat next to each other on the monochrome couch, looking over textbooks piled up on the glass table. The soothing sound of Madeline's voice was the only sound in the living room as she read out questions for her study partner to answer.

Rory stared blankly into space as Madeline's voice faded into the background. Even though he was the one who asked her to help him with the school subjects he was missing, he couldn't focus. No matter how hard he tried to stay calm, being in her proximity for an extended period caused his heart to beat so quickly he could scarcely feel his pulse.  

Whenever she asked him if something was wrong, he answered that he hadn't slept well the past couple of nights because of his recurring nightmare, but that was a lie. In truth, he only lied about having more nightmares to continue sleeping with Madeline. He'd lay awake and watch her as she slept, wondering why the idea of spending the night without her was so unbearable. 

He removed his gaze from the floor-to-ceiling windows to quickly glance at her, turning away as his cheeks heated up. I-I just don't get it, when we're together I can't think straight and my heart feels like it's going to burst, He thought, shaking his head in discomfort as the feelings that had been plaguing him for the past couple of days washed over him again. But when she's not with me, being with her again is all I can think about. 

He chewed on his lip as he recalled the anxiousness and longing he felt whenever she left him alone. There must be something wrong with me, to feel like this about the person who kidnapped me, even if she only did it to keep me safe. Queasiness filled his stomach as he remembered how he had ended up in that penthouse. He couldn't let himself forget, otherwise he wasn't sure what he might do.

"Rory, did you catch that last bit?" Madeline's soothing voice penetrated his thoughts as she looked over the textbooks at him in concern. her lipstick-coated lips pulled into a frown as her hazel eyes stared directly into his.

"Hmmm? Oh! N-No, sorry…" he stammered, green eyes wide, stunned by her question. 

"Is something wrong? You've been spacing out all afternoon," she asked, a troubled expression settling over her face as she set the open book down on the glass table, turning to face him. "Am I boring you?" 

"N-No, not at all!" Rory frantically waved his hands, frightened that she would stop tutoring him and he would have to find another excuse to spend time with her. "I-I'm just having trouble focusing." He laughed awkwardly, willing the blush on his cheeks to disappear.

"Well, you know you don't have to study if you don't want to," she told him gently, closing the algebra book in front of her. 

"But there's no way I'll be able to get my degree if I don't study," He mumbled, averting his eyes in shame as he reflected on how he was barely able to keep up, even when his full attention was on school. "I'm not that smart…" tears pricked at the corners of his eyes, he felt worthless. Even with such a smart and capable woman tutoring him one on one, he still couldn't grasp the subject matter.

"Don't say that! You are perfectly smart, ok?" Madeline scolded him, angry at the mere thought of anything making him think less of himself. "If this topic stresses you out so much, why didn't you choose a different major?" she asked, scooting closer to him on the couch. 

"Because business majors look good on job applications…" He mumbled, lowering his head and raising his shoulders to appear as small as possible. Simultaneously wanting her attention, and wishing that she was paying attention to anything other than his shortcomings.

"If you were just studying this to get a job you don't have to worry about it," She said, giving him a warm smile as she reached out to rub his back. "You don't have to finish school, or even get a job if you don't want to. I can take care of you." 

"Why?!" He spat, flinching away from her touch, the cocktail of emotions he had been feeling finally overflowing.

"Pardon?" she retracted her hand, confused by his reaction. 

"Why are you willing to take care of me?!" He exploded, all the uncertainty and inadequacy he felt finally spilling over as tears of self-loathing poured down his face. "I-I'm just some random loser with no skills or ambitions!" He sobbed.

"You are so much more than that," Madeline cooed as she inched closer to him on the sofa. "You are everything to me, Rory."

"w-why?" He asked, appalled when he began hiccuping from crying so hard. Everything felt so overwhelming.  

"Because I love you," She answered, gently cupping his cheeks with her hands and wiping his tears away. 

"How-how can you be sure?" His heart skipped a beat as he looked up into her hazel eyes, the feeling of her fingers stroking his cheeks suddenly all he could focus on. 

"Well, whenever I'm with you I feel like nothing else matters, there's this warm fuzzy feeling in my chest. And when we're apart I can't wait for the next time I'll see you," She described how she felt, a look of pure affection on her face as she gazed at him. "All I want is to take care of you and see you happy, and protect you from all the dangers of this world; that's love." 

"Madeline," He spoke her name in a faint voice barely above a whisper. His heart pounding in his chest and his body was filled with warmth from her gaze. "I-I think I love you."

His eyes locked on her lips, and before he could second guess himself he leaned in, connecting his with hers. 

A/N

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Rory and Madeline finally had their first kiss! Any ideas about what will happen next? ^~^

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~