Chapter Nineteen

Claire laughed when Spartacus jumped out of her arms just as she was about to put him down.

He ran into the kitchen and ran in circles around the kitchen island.

Ben laughed. "Well he's excited."

Claire smiled and kissed his cheek. "Thanks for agreeing to get the dog."

"I like him." He shrugged.

At the sound of their voices Spartacus came running back to them. The puppy jumped up on Ben's legs and started scratching them, yapping away.

Ben laughed again and scratched Spartacus' ears. The puppy dropped down and rolled away.

Claire laughed. "Do you think he's going to calm today?"

"I'd be surprised if he ever calms down."

"Oh god, that'll be hard."

He nodded. "A bit, but that means we can play with him all the time. Besides, children hate sleeping too."

She smiled. "I'm going to go try to feed him."

Ben laughed. "He seems hungry to you?"

"No, I just have no other idea what to do." She shrugged. "This is the first big change in our lives in a while. I'm a bit dumb founded at what the hell to do."

He laughed again and swung her off of her feet, keeping her from falling with an arm wrapped around her upper back. "Hey, not much is going to change, we're still us."

Claire smiled. "Yeah. Can you let me stand now? I appreciate the romantic gesture, but I also appreciate having stable footing, with my feet, on the ground."

Ben smiled. "Not just yet." He leaned down a bit and kissed her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Parker woke up with someone's arms wrapped around her waist like she was a teddy bear.

At first, she panicked. Someone had captured her, someone had tried to hurt her, something was wrong. She nearly brought her left arm out from under her.

Then she remembered what had happened yesterday.

"Elias?" She whispered.

"Five more minutes." She heard him groan behind her faintly.

Parker glanced at the clock. It said 6:10. "It's time to go to work."

"No." He said. "What day is it?"

"Christmas Eve."