Chapter Twenty Four

Clementine Young woke up on the couch. Sean's arm wasn't wrapped around her waist like it normally was, he wasn't even on the same surface. She was on the couch, if she remembered correctly Emry had taken the bed, and she saw Sean lying on the floor with just a couch cushion as a pillow.

He was close to finding out the truth, too close. She probably wouldn't be sticking around for much longer until he forced her away.

"Sean?" She whispered.

"Fluffernutters." The alpha mumbled in his sleep.

Clementine laughed quietly. She got up and went to the small kitchen, making sure to keep her footsteps quiet as to keep from waking up either of the boys. She opened the fridge and pulled out two cow hearts that she'd bought from the butcher's a few days ago. She cut the two up and cooked them.Half an hour later she poured the cooked meat into a bow, then she cracked open nine eggs and poured them into a bowl, whisking them around. Then she poured them into a pan.

She smelled smoke and scrambled up the eggs with a spatula and poured each of them onto three plates, then separated the meat onto each plate too.

Emry walked into the kitchen. "What smells so good?"

"Eggs and cow heart." She offered him a plate. "Want some?"

His nose crinkled. "The eggs sound good, but cow heart?"

Clementine rolled her eyes. "We can eat human food but what we actually need is human hearts. Sean's pack has always substituted animal hearts for human ones. The old alpha, Kate, one spent six months in a barn eating chicken hearts, the old beta Asher survived for a month on stray cats. Would you rather have human hearts instead? Would you rather get so hungry that you kill someone?"

Emry's eyes went wide and he took the plate and fork. "Cow hearts it is."

She smiled. "Be careful, they can taste a bit gross."

He nodded. "Thanks for the warning."

She nodded back and carried another plate back to the living room. She set a plate near Sean. "Hey, Sean. Time to wake up." She whispered. "I made breakfast."

He opened his eyes and stared at her drowsily. "Food?"

Clementine laughed. "Eggs and cow heart, made fresh if you get up."

"Mmm." He sat up. "Morning." He took the plate.

Clementine laughed. "Come on, Emry's already up."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Elias woke up in some hotel room that he didn't recognize. Across the room he saw a dark skinned woman staring hollowly at a phone. "Mom?" He croaked.