Parenting is Harder than We Thought

Cole: 24
Bindi: 24
Triplets: Age varies through chapter

November 10th 2044 (day after triplets were born)

"Alright sweetheart, we're going to help you up, okay? You're probably going to be a bit achey but we're going to go really slow,"Bindi's nurse cautions as her and Cole stand by the side of Bindi's bed, watching as her face dampens with a bit of fear, but her overwhelming need to see her babies is far outweighing that fear.

"Okay,"Bindi nods, holding her hands out towards the nurse and Cole who both grab onto one of her hands, their other hand going to her back, Cole copying the nurse just as he was instructed to do.

"Alright sweetheart, sit up a bit...I know, honey, I know that hurts, I'm sorry,"the nurse sympathizes with a little frown as Bindi winces as cries out slightly at the movement of standing up since she's been unable to do so since the c section last night. "Carefully put your legs over the edge of the bed...just like that, perfect, sweet girl. Okay now we're gonna stand and take two steps to the wheel chair, okay?"

"That looks further than two steps,"Bindi jokes with a little sigh, looking at the wheel chair that is indeed two steps away from her, but it seems like she's climbing Mount Everest.

"You've got it, B,"Cole promises, rubbing his hand against Bindi's lower back as he keeps a tight grip on her hand, watching her legs dangle uncertainly off of the bed.

"Okay on the count of three, love, one...two...three,"the nurse instructs, carefully helping Bindi haul herself upwards on three as Cole does the same, coursing a loud cry of pain to escape from Bindi's mouth as she tightens her grip on Cole and the nurse's hand, her teeth biting into her bottom lip.

"F*cking hell,"Bindi cries out, bowing her head with her matted hair falling in her face as her arms shake, tears springing up into her eyes from the continual ache running across her c section incision on her lower stomach. "Give me a minute..."

"Take all the time you need, honey, we've got you,"the nurse assures Bindi, looking at her with loving eyes as Bindi continues to pant and wait for the fierce ache to calm down in her lower stomach just slightly.

"Okay,"Bindi pants, blowing out a breath between her pursed lips, raising her head a bit to look over at the wheel chair, "okay, I think I can do it."

"Alright, just shuffle your feet, that will hurt less,"the nurse suggests, looking down at Bindi's grippy bottom socked feet as Cole presses a reassuring kiss to her slightly flushed cheek. "Perfect shuffle, just like that darling...great, now we're just gonna sit down, okay, go really slow...beautiful, how does that feel?"

"Okay, I'm okay,"Bindi sighs in relief, gripping onto both of the handlebars of the wheelchair and nodding her head, blowing out a heavy exhale that makes her hazel curtain bangs fly up in the air as she looks up at Cole. "It's like I'm eighty years old."

"You're acting like it,"Cole teases back with a little wink, tapping his palm jokingly against the top of Bindi's head. "Are you ready to meet them?"

*

"Alright, sweethearts, now that you're all sanitized we can see your babies,"Riley introduces, the same NICU nurse that's been with the triplets their entire life bubbles, leading Bindi who's being pushed in her wheelchair by Cole through the NICU towards the little room that the triplets have all to themselves.

"Here they are, all three of them, we're so glad that Wesley finally got to join them,"Riley bubbles, motioning her hand towards the cot on the far right that's holding their precious little girl that they haven't been able to meet yet. "She is seriously the sweetest little thing."