10 ~ Found but Lost

Sapnap POV

***

BANG!

Tears of teal dripped from the ultramarine ether above.

George! He's found him!

I pick up the pace and head in the direction of where the firework had lit the sky, pulling out the electronic map and a potion of swiftness at the same time.

"Come on, come on..."

My eyes flick up and down as I try to find George's icon whilst jogging. I didn't want to trip over, that would send me right over the edge. I was already stressed out enough with the night as it was, I did not need a forest fire setting off from the stupidity of my anger from falling over.

This was my problem.

Being a demon from a whole other world means that whatever I do, I must be careful, under any circumstance. I could make a candle light from just sneezing for crying out loud. Most of the time I'm able to control it: for example, at the sleepover I kept getting jumpscared by the horror movie but I laughed it off and kept positive. The most I felt was the tingle of the rise in my body temperature.

That's all I have to do.

Be calm. Be positive.

Being happy is really more Dream's thing. He's the glue that sticks us together through thick and thin, even if he just seems like a normal guy compared to me and George. He accepted our differences without a question and made us family.

Sometimes I worry that Dream might be bothered by the fact we have 'abilities' and he doesn't. It's probably why he works so hard to be fast and strong - and let me tell you from personal experience: it's definately pulled off.

Although thinking about it, he could be going through something major right now that none of us understand with that nightmare of his.

I have to hurry.

George isn't that far from me now, but all the adults' icons are much farther away than I am so I'll be the first there.

Hopefully they're okay.

As I hopped over a mossy root, I heard a strange sound.

ZAP!

"What the-"

My body instantly swirled with heat. Was there an endermen nearby? I gripped the hilt of my sword and ran even faster. I had to be prepared for anything.

The trees began to thin and part, getting smaller with their height but wider with their trunks and roots. A river dip was ahead. Two figures stood next to each other, one stepping back from the other as they crept effortlessly closer. The voice of my friend was brave yet trembling as it reached my ears.

"Dream... what happened? You're so different." 

He took another step back. The taller one of the two followed again.

"Nothing's wrong with me, George. We're friends aren't we?"

The words slithered through the air, venom practically dripping from them as they hung around and left a bitter taste to those who breathed around them.

"Why are you so close?" George stood his ground and looked directly at the hellhound. "Step away Dream."

He simply grinned at that. "Aw, are you embarrassed to see me?" 

Ignorance was his bliss. But as I emerged from the trees, I knew I couldn't let him pester George any longer.

"He said step away. Do as he asks, Dream." I stood tall, speaking firm and low.