#5: don't laugh at someone's embarrassment

PICTURE: KATHERINE MURPHY

Luke: Why aren't you here? I gave you the address this morning in Maths.

Me: oh yeah, about that... not coming

Luke: Don't make me come over and get you.

Me: tf leave me alone

Luke: Arizona, get your ass to this party.

Me: soz I died bye

It had been three days since the kissing incident in the hallway, where Luke had taught me how to seduce instead of be seduced. It was actually sort of strange how easily things reverted back to normal.

There was no awkward talk that had to be had. We just went back to normal, or as normal as you could get with teaching Luke Hemmings how to fake innocence.

He had also let it slip in Math class (with our favourite teacher who still hated us for that "incident") that he was going to a party tonight. I really don't know how he came to the conclusion that I'd be going with him, or at least meeting him there.  

I was still under the impression that Luke was delusional.

"You're really not going to go?" Katherine asked from her place on my bed. She had swung around in the afternoon with the intentions of finding out what was happening between Luke and I.

I had promised Luke I wouldn't tell anyone about our deal, so I think she assumed the worst — that we were dating.

"No." I scrunched my nose up. "I hate parties."

"Yeah, but isn't it sort of a given that you'll go with your fuckboy when invited?" Katherine muttered, her clear distain for Luke shining through.

I pulled a face, not entirely pleased with her dissing him. He wasn't as bad as I originally thought. I wanted to tell her all about the tattoo parlor and hallway lesson, but I knew she'd just judge me for both so I kept quiet.

"Firstly, he isn't my 'fuckboy'. I don't even think I know what that is. Secondly, can you try not to be so irritated by the mere mention of his name?" I raised my eyebrow, scrolling through my phone absently.

"I'm sorry." Katherine huffed. "I just don't understand why, after an entire schooling life of ignorance, you'd want to spend time with him."

I merely shrugged, my attention taken by Luke's recent text.

Luke: Fuck it. I'm coming to get you.

Me: omfg i said i was dead and you want to take me to a party? sort out your priorities

Luke: You're sort of adorable when you text.

Me: h8 u

Luke: Be there in 10.