#16: good people forgive

"You're the one who said I had to come up with a better idea." I raised my eyebrow, daring Michael to say anything negative. To my surprise, and pleasure, he remained silent although he didn't seem to think this would help.

"When I said come up with a better idea, I didn't think you'd resort to this." He scrunched his nose up and just stared at the half-broken sign.

ADV NT RE FI H S OP

"I heard pets were the best way to get over someone." I shrugged defensively.

"The sign is missing half it's letters." Michael peered up at the sign again. He was right. It was meant to read Adventure Fish Shop but over the years it had become tradition for seniors to steal a letter on their last day of school. Pete, the shop owner, had given up replacing the letters.

"It's this shop or the one two towns over." I placed my hand on my hip. "Do you want to drive to White Haven?"

Michael shuddered. "The last time I was there some lady screamed at how I needed Jesus and threw holy water at me."

White Haven was full of middle age Christians, and yes, that was just as scary as it sounded.

"My point has been made." I waved my hands in the air before pushing open the door.

I had stopped by Michael's locker during lunch and somehow persuaded him to go on this afternoon trip with me. I reasoned that getting a fish would be like a reward for ignoring Luke all day, although that had been relatively easy considering he hadn't even shown up to school.

Katherine, on the other hand, had sat down with Calum and Ashton at lunch time. I didn't want to make Ash or Cal chose between us so that's why I went and hunted down Michael. It had been five days since the band gig, and I had been the one to tell Cal and Ash not to freeze Katherine out.

"Aren't you meant to reward yourself after a week or something? Five days seems insignificant." Michael strolled down the isles, looking at the colour fish with no interest.

"It's been five days since the band gig, which means seven days since the carnival incident. That's a week." I pointed my finger before placing a bowl in the basket I had picked up.

"Luke texted you today though." Michael shot me a knowing look. I was about to ask how he knew that but then I remembered they were best friends.

"So?"

"What did it say?" Michael smirked. "Also that means you haven't gone seven days ignoring him."

"I never replied to the message, so yes, I have." I argued before shrugging. "It just said lesson sixteen; good people forgive."