xlivxii. 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐢𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮

"Carrie, stop

"Carrie, stop." Mavis huffed as she sat wrapped up in the tarp while Carrie paced the little shed. "The police are gone."

"Yeah, with our friends." she shot back with an insane look. "Now we're alone and everyone else isn't back yet, and who knows what could happen next."

Mav exhaled, because she wasn't sure how to comfort people well. Usually, she'd always been the one others tend to and make sure was okay. And if it were someone else, one of the boys was always there to help her out. "It'll be okay."

"How can you say it'll be okay when people are dying and you and Max are next on the list!" she explained loudly, her hand tossing around as her eyes filled up. "Do you not understand? Not all of us can get drunk off wine coolers and forget about all our trauma."

"I didn't forget." she got to her feet with a glare. "Do you honestly think it just left my mind?"

"I don't know, how can I not when you're pretending it isn't happening?" Carrie stared at her, eyes glossy from the moonlight. She was hurting, and she'd always been the type to say things without thinking them through. "You'll die, then Max will die, and i'll be alone."

Mavis exhaled. "You aren't alone."

"Yes, I am! Because you and Max can handle all of this so well and act like everything is normal but I can't!" this time, her tears did fall. "I know i'm next. I know that whatever he's planning, he's gonna come for me. You don't understand what happened to me when I was in the Upside Down. He's gonna come for me and it's gonna be bad."

She walked forward. "He might. And it will be terrifying, and scare the hell out of you but you will be okay. None of us are gonna let him take you. Max and I both escaped because we had friends that are willing to fight and die for us."

Mavis grabbed Carries hands as she stood right in front of her. "I will always, no matter what, fight and die for you."

Carrie cried a she leaned into her, wrapping her arms around her tightly and dropping her head into her neck. Mavis rubbed her back as she felt warm tears trailing down her collarbones, shutting her own eyes. A ringing noise filled both their ears, Carrie pulled back slowly. "What is that?"

Mavis held a finger to her lips, walking toward the windows. She laughed. "We're saved."

Carrie gasped as the doors shot open, four figured standing on the other side as their shadows crossed the floor. Carrie locked eyes with Dustin, a sad smile going across her face as she gave a delicate wave. He smiled back at her. "You guys o-"

He was cut off by her hugging him tightly. His hands rose, not sure what to do, before gently placing them on her shoulders.

Mavis smiled at them. She smiled because she knew what it felt like to not know comfort until you see and have one person. Carrie would be okay, but Dustin grounded her, made her feel safer even if she wasn't. She understood because she had that, she understood because she was lacking it so horribly right now. Not only from her lover, but also because Mike, who had done everything in his power to always make her feel loved from the lack she received until the adoption, also wasn't here. Nor was Will, who filled up a space when Danny died.