FOUR

⇥✰⇤
Debate Team

"Those things will kill you, you know?" Will's voice rang through Mavis's ears as she stood in the back of the school, hanging out an abandoned classroom window. She quickly put the cigarette out and jumped off the desk she was standing on.

"Sorry, I didn't know you'd be back here. Everything okay?" she asked while adjusting the bright pink leather jacket around her shoulder. Will nodded quickly.

"Just looking for you, Carrie mentioned El got brought up last night. Are you okay?" he asked her worried as Mavis cracked a forced smile.

"I'm an all-good little man. Are you okay? After what happened last night?" she questioned while leaning against the desk.

"Y-yeah, I think I'm okay now" he nodded as Mavis smiled, a real one this time before nodding.

"Cmon, Mr.Clarke threatened to not let me audition for the debate team if I skip another one of his classes" Mavis laughed as he threw an arm around Will and pulled him down the busy hallway.

"Debate team?" he asked with wondering eyes, Mavis nodded before her eyes widened in realization.

"We should do it together! I need a way to get my anger out and you're working on not being so shy right? It could be fun" she said with a wide grin, Will almost said yes to her wide smile but sighed in return.

"I don't know Mav..." he trailed off as she gave a pout but nodded knowingly.

"Just think about it, okay? There's a meeting after Mr.Clarkes to decide if I'm worthy enough. If you decide you wanna try something new... meet me there" Mavis said to him with a wink as they walked into Mr. Clarke's classroom and fell into two chairs next to each other.

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time. Phineas was a railroad worker in eighteen forty-eight. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head, Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine and physically yes he was, but his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality. So much so that friends that knew him started to refer to him as No Longer Gage" Mr. Clarke spoke loudly to the class as Mavis looked down at the last sentence, feeling Lucas's eyes burning into her. She knew she wasn't the same, but it wasn't as if her friends would call her out by it and start using a whole new name for her. At least she hoped not.

"At the time it was called the crowbar case-" Mr.Clarke began just as the door swung open. Dustin began to spit out apologies as he fell into the seat in front of Will, making the two shortest friends share an odd look.

"We have to meet, all of us, at lunch" Dustin whispered as he looked back at his friends.

"But it's taco Tuesday" Mavis pouted as Dustin gave her a look.

"Why?" Mike spoke up in a whisper to stop an argument.

"I found something that you won't believe" Dustin explained with wide, blue eyes before Mr. Clarke's voice cut in.

"Dustin," he said as the curly-haired boy turned to him quickly.

"Yes my lord?" he asked their teacher, earning himself a small smile.

"Would you like to join the class now?"

"Yes please"