SIX

⇥✰⇤
Broken

"Let me out of here, you son of a bitch!" Mavis yelled as she hit her rings on the metal bars of the jail cell. The cop at the door gave an annoyed expression but stayed facing forward the whole time.

"What the hell? Didn't we go over this? You call me when you take her in" the loud voice of the chief announced as Mavis sighed in relief as he walked in and began unlocking the door.

"Thank god, I couldn't stand one more minute in there" she groaned as he caught her arm.

"Nu-uh, I don't think so. My office. Now!" he yelled, making her roll her eyes and follow him to his office before flopping down on the spare chair.

"What happened to you trying to get better, huh? Last time you were here you said it was the last time ever" he asked to her with a look of disbelief.

"I was standing up for what I believed in," she said confidently while crossing her legs.

"You had to say what you believed in on a megaphone in the middle of the first period?" he asked as she nodded without a care in the world, making him sigh and lean on his desk more.

"Listen, kid, I know you're going through a lot right now. Things at home aren't good for you, I get that. But you're way past the three-strike rule, you've been arrested four times in the past three months. How am I supposed to work with that if you're not even trying?" he asked her with a softer tone as she sighed sadly and look away.

"I- I just, it distracts me" she mumbled as he frowned his eyebrows, watching as her expression went from annoyed to sad in under two seconds.

"Distracts you from what?" he asked her as Mavis stayed silent for a moment.

"Missing her" she mumbled, barely loud enough for him to hear. A guilty expression spread across Hopper's face as he leaned back in his chair again, falling silent much like she was.

"What's that on your neck?" he asked, realizing she was messing with something like a necklace.

"It's a ring, I tied it around a chain so it wouldn't get lost. Doesn't fit my finger yet" she shrugged while smiling slightly down at it.

"Your brothers?" he asked her, hoping it didn't trigger the sad memories she had.

"No, my friends. I've got a bracelet for Danny" Mavis mumbled back, feeling the pain of her brother's name being spoken again. Looking up, she noticed the confused expression on Hopper's face as he motioned to the ring.

"It's Issacs, he was a friend I met. We got arrested around the same time a few months back, he was one of the good ones. Helped me, stopped me from getting into deeper shit than I already was... he protected me" she said, her eyes sadder than usual as she messed with the cold metal ring.

"Where is he now?" he asked her as Mavis sighed.

"Around town I think, I sometimes see him going to school. We talk when we can but we've both got our own problems" she said as he nodded.

"He helped you... I wanna do that too, kid. But you've gotta meet me halfway here" he spoke while leaning forward again as her own eyes began to water as she met his.