19

"Alright y/n, are you ready?" Steve asks and you let out a shaky breath. "It's alright, he's not gonna hurt you."

"I know that. I'm just... what if he doesn't wanna come back?" You look at Steve with desperation in your eyes. "He will. You wanna know why?" You nod your head and Steve cups the sides of your face with his hands. "Because he loves you."

"Remember this isn't his first time dealing with mind control. His memories are more likely to come back easier. There's a high chance he already has most of them and he can remember a lot about you," he says.

You nod your head and hug Steve. "Thank you Steve. I appreciate you being my American teddy bear brother," you say as you lift your head up and look at him.

Steve lets out a laugh as he pushes you towards the entrance of the building. "Y/n," you hear him call your name, so you stop and turn around to face him. "If you need help, just call. And if he doesn't seem like he cares, make him jealous, he'll definitely care." You give Steve a thumbs up and head inside.

"Winter Solider," you say in a singsong voice. "Come out and play."

A dark figure makes it's way towards you. Stopping a few feet in front of you. "Hi," you say.

"I was hoping you'd show up," he admits shyly as he kicks at the ground.

"Why's that?"

"I had a dream about you last night, but it didn't feel like a dream. More like a memory," he squints his eyes as he recalls the dream.

"What did you see?" You step closer to him and he doesn't move away. He looks at you and swallows hard. "You were laying underneath me. And we were..." he trails off as he looks away embarrassed.

"And then what?" You ask understanding what he's trying to say as you step closer to him.

"I uh— I don't remember. I just remember hearing you say that name... Bucky. I can't remember what happened after," his face twist with frustration as his eyebrows furrow together.

"Try," you whisper and he looks into your eyes, holding your gaze. He reaches out to touch your face, but stops himself. Your eyes sadden as you realize he's scared he'll hurt you. "I wrapped my arms around you and held you close to me as we fell asleep," he finally speaks softly.

"Do you know my name?" You ask with curiosity and he nods his head slowly as he looks at your lips. "I remember whispering your name in the dream. You had fallen asleep and..." he trails off as he squints his eyes in concentration.

"Take your time," you say softly.

"Your back was against my chest. You were sleeping softly and I... kissed your shoulder and softly said your name. Y/n," he says and you look at him with a proud expression.

"Yea that's my name. Can you tell me yours?" You reach for his hand, and he's hesitant, but he lets you take it. "I don't want to hurt you," he says with pain in his voice.

"It's okay. I trust you," you say and he laces his fingers through yours. "What's your name?"

"I don't, I—"

"Hi, it's nice to meet you. I'm y/f/n," you say as you hold your hand out to shake. He takes your hand in his and shakes it gently. "James Buchanan Barnes, but you can call me Bucky for short."

"Do you let everyone you meet call you Bucky?" You ask with sly grin. He smirks at you and you recognize the glint in his eyes. "Only the ones special to me," he says.

"I know you're scared, but I need you to come with me. We'll help you get all your memories back. We did it once before, we can do it again," you say and he looks around the room before looking down at your joined hands.

"Promise you'll be with me every step of the way," he says and it's not a question, it's a demand. His one request and you nod. "Of course I'll be with you every step," you say and he smiles softly at you.