Chapter 7, Part 5 - Rising Smoke

"You're really Uxie?!" Trevor eagerly asked with shimmering eyes, "The shadow from my dreams?! It's really you?!"

"The one and only." Uxie gave a small bow as he addressed the Meowth. "Thank you for coming, physically speaking with you here is so much easier than using telepathy across the entire Lush Continent. How are you, Trevor?"

"I've... been better," the Meowth murmured in response, staring at the scars left over from his most recent battle. His eyes widened as he suddenly remembered the giant mass of red scales still laying behind him. "We'd better get out of here," Trevor urgently warned, "Groudon could wake up at any minute! We could all be in danger!"

Uxie responded with just a soft chuckle. "No need," the Mythical assured as the gemstone on his head began glowing brightly. In an instant, Groudon vanished in a flash of light, prompting dumbstruck expressions from the trio. Uxie chuckled softly at their utter surprise. "Groudon, as you saw here, was merely a product of my psychic powers."

Aiden crossed her arms with a disappointed pout. "Wait, whaaat?! So we didn't actually kick Groudon's ass?!"

Uxie gave another chuckle. "Heavens, no. If you were to fight the real Groudon in your current state, you all would have been obliterated in seconds! No, the Groudon you fought was a test devised by me."

"...A test of courage?" asked Trevor with hopeful, pride-filled eyes.

"More so a test of your... humanity," came Uxie's bemused response, "After all, given that Pokémon are taught to fear Mythicals from childhood, only a human would be so daft to take one on! Ahaha!"

"H-human...?" Rin murmured disbelievingly while watching Trevor sheepishly rub the back of his neck.

"Well anyways," Uxie continued with a smile, "I've digressed for long enough. What would you like to know first, Trevor?"

Trevor jumped slightly as an electric surge seemed to jolt his entire body, his mind instantly flooding with a torrent of long-held questions. He took a long, deep breath before asking on one breath: "Why was I brought to this world? What is my purpose?"

Uxie returned an understanding smile before his expression darkened slightly. "You were brought here... due to an anomaly in the fabric of time and space."

"W-wha-?!" Trevor recoiled backwards, overwhelmed by the outlandishness of the answer.

"Yes, anomalies in time and space." Uxie repeated, "You and many others may not sense it, but the Pokémon world has been plagued with these anomalies for a while now. The effects of these anomalies can be seen with the sheer number of Mystery Dungeons have emerged up in recent times, as well as the strange, unnatural meteor which destroyed Pokémon Square a while back. It is this imbalance of the fabric of space-time which has led to your transition from the human world to this one, as was the case with the human who came before you; dimensional rifts are what sent you humans to our world and transformed them into Pokémon. Having been monitoring these anomalies using my psychic powers, I was able to perceive your arrival to this world and have been doing my best to monitor you from across the continent."

The vast interior of the cave seemed to rapidly whirl as Trevor tried his best to internalize every one of Uxie's words. "...Right... Well, do you know how I can possibly return to the human world?"

"I fear that unless these distortions in space-time are eliminated, you won't be able to return for the time being. I've attempted to speak with Dialga and Palkia, but both of them, like many other Mythicals, are too secluded and stubborn to communicate."

Trevor tilted his head confusedly. "I'm sorry, who-?"

Uxie shut his eyes and placed both of his nub-like arms onto his temple. "With another burst of light, two colossal beings appeared by his side. The beast to the left was covered in a set of pale, pink scales, holding its lengthy neck high as it impressively displayed the set of blades jutting out the back of its pearl-studded arms. The creature to the right wore a brilliant shade of blue, gray spikes covering its massive body with a glittering diamond embedded on its chest. Trevor felt as if even a simple glance from their red-ringed eyes would be enough to send him flying backwards. Uxie seemed considerably less awestruck, referring to them with a casual tone as if they were merely distant relatives.