Chapter 12, Part 2 - Insecurity

The leaves of the stunningly beautiful Dawnbreak Woods remained as stunningly golden as ever as Trevor stepped foot into its serene atmosphere for the third time. Neither Trevor, Aiden, nor Luka said a word as they easily navigated through the familiar dungeon's wide corridors, instead preferring to silently prepare themselves for whatever they may encounter within its deepest recesses. 

Trevor barely had time to reflect on the plethora of memories embedded into the dungeon's golden-leaved interior before reaching the giant patch of flat land which marked the forest's center point. The members of Team Spirit were immediately met by a massive crowd of angry Pokémon waiting for them, many of whom Trevor recognized as outlaws who he had helped to catch and put behind bars. To nobody's surprise, Alpha stood at the front of the horde of hostile Pokémon calling themselves the Purists, several of which clamored noisily upon seeing both Trevor and Rin appear from the distance. Standing alongside the Gabite stood Charlotte, who wore a worried expression while continually shifting her ringed, yellow eyes nervously towards her quivering, rage-filled partner.

"There you are," Alpha growled bitterly as Trevor approached nearby, his usual cocky demeanor nowhere to be found. "Right where I want you."

Trevor couldn't help but recoil slightly at the Gabite's distinctly unsightly appearance; his once pride-filled eyes now appeared sunken and aged' dark shadows hung from underneath each of his jittering, yellow pupils. Alpha's normally confident smile was reduced to a loathsome snarl, the corners of his mouth dragged downwards to an unnatural degree, which Trevor found more pitiful than intimidating. Although Trevor bit his tongue as to his thoughts regarding the Gabite's new, horrid state, Aiden was not quite as reserved.

"What... happened to you?" the Scorbunny murmured in a low voice layered in pity.

"S-shut up!" Alpha roared contemptuously, as his limbs began trembling violently, "That doesn't concern you! All that matters is that I get my runback! Drawing you out was why I decided to make this group in the first place!" The Gabite waved a twitching claw towards Trevor's direction as the Meowth continued to stand defiantly. "You! If you're really a man, then you'd face me right here, one on one. You just got lucky last time- there's no conceivable way you could have beaten me! It must have been luck! We'll fight in the same place, only this time, I'll be the one who comes out on top!"

"Hey, what's the big deal?!" a harsh voice suddenly snarled loudly in response. From the giant crowd which stood behind Alpha emerged a angry-eyed Drapion who threw his pincers up in indignance. "Why do you get to keep all the fun for yourself?! You said that we could get revenge on Team Spirit if we joined you, didn't we?! Me and Ava over here have a bone to pick with that stupid Scorbunny over there!" The droopy-eyed Golbat standing next to the Drapion silently nodded in agreement while wearing an absentminded expression.

"YEAH!" boomed a gargantuan Gigalith who towered over the sea of Purists who surrounded him. "EXACTING MY REVENGE ON RIN WAS THE ONLY REASON I DECIDED TO JOIN YOU AFTER GETTING BAILED FROM PRISON! WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT-"

"SHUT UP!" Alpha snarled, "You'll have your chance to get payback after I get mine!" The Gabite redirected his fierce eyes back towards Trevor. "Well? What'll it be, huh?! Are you gonna fight, or are you gonna run like some weakling?!"

Without saying a word, Trevor fastened his goggles over his eyes and prepared himself to face Alpha in a one-one-one fight.

"...You sure about this, Treph?" Aiden asked hesitantly, placing a paw onto Trevor's shoulder while staring firmly into his eyes.

"I... can't be scared anymore." Trevor quietly stated in response, "I want you to trust me. I've beaten him once, and I can do it again." 

The sight of Trevor's determined eyes was enough to make Aiden back away while nodding in hesitant approval. Alpha's contemptuous snarl only grew in intensity as Trevor stepped forwards to face him, the Gabite's entire body becoming cloaked in waves of brilliant, purple light. Arching his back downwards, Alpha immediately began charging towards the Meowth with a desperate scream. His instincts having been honed from having fought multiple Legend Ranks prior to that point, Trevor quickly managed to roll away from the Gabite's crushing claw swipe while taking a Stun Seed from his satchel.