Chapter 12, Part 5 - The Eye Which Never Sleeps

"Where are you?!" Jett began shouting while scanning every shadow in sight for any sign of Vul's crimson eye as each member of Team Spirit swiftly braced themselves to fight, "If you've come to finish us off, then show yourself!"

Despite Jett's enraged demand, no sign of Vul's ghastly body could be found, even as every Pokémon Sunrise Town frantically swiveled their heads to catch any sign of the hateful Dusknoir.

"Oh please," Vul suddenly responded in his typical, monotonous tone, "Did you really think I would be stupid enough to enter your insignificant little town after..." his voice trailed off briefly, "...I've lost enough energy as is. I am merely speaking with you from the Temporal Tower through long-range telepathy."

"Then why are you here?!" Aiden angrily demanded, "You've got some nerve showing yourself in this town after what you did to Zephyr!"

Vul's voice remained steady and mechanical. "I am merely here to offer my perspective on why attempting to rescue Dialga would be a fool's errand."

"And why would we want to hear that?!" came Aiden's angry response, "What could you possibly say that would possibly discourage us from coming over there and caving your face in?!"

"Such stubbornness will only lead to further suffering. Let me ask this: what would be the point of attempting to stop me?"

"Are you kidding?!" Luka spat exasperatedly, "You're trying to kill time itself- everybody's lives are on the line!"

"And what would happen if you theoretically were to stop me?" Vul sullenly proposed, "Time will eventually come for us all anyways, regardless of whether or not Dialga perishes by my hand. In a century, all of you in this town will have passed on from age. In the span of several decades, this once lively town may dissolve into nothing but a distant memory. In the span of several millennia, this world in its entirety may not even exist anymore, doomed to become swallowed by the endless sea of darkness which surrounds it. The relentless passage of time is undeniably cruel- it cares not whether one lives or dies- it cares not for equity or fairness. All I am doing is quickening the inevitable fate which befalls all-"

"Oh, would you just shut up?!"

Every citizen in Sunrise Town instantly shifted their gazes towards the angry-eyed Meowth who had just dared to interrupt Vul's brutally nihilistic speech. Even Aiden and Luka were completely taken by surprise at his sudden, unexpected aggression.

"What kind of stupid, asinine mentality is that?!" Trevor began asserting, "What, just because the world's going to end some day in the future doesn't mean life isn't worth living in the moment?! That has to be the worst reasoning I've ever heard!"

"Then tell me, naïve human," Vul responded flatly, "What would be the point of saving a world that is destined to eventually die? What purpose could your short, fragile life possibly hold?"

"I... don't know..." Trevor responded after some deliberation, "...But isn't finding out the point of living?! We're all capable of finding our own reasons for going on as we progress through life- our ability to grow and adapt is what makes life so fulfilling! I didn't go through so many life-changing experiences and make so many new friends throughout my time in this world just to have some jaded nobody tell me that it was all meaningless in the grand scheme of things! I don't care if the world's going to end someday- that doesn't make life any less worth living!"

Much to Trevor's surprise, several of Sunrise Town's residents began clamoring excitedly, their eyes filled with inspiration at what he was saying. Moved by the notion of being supported by his fellow Pokémon as opposed to being ogled at for being human, Trevor confidently continued to speak using a bold, confrontational tone.