Chapter 13 Prologue- Moonlit Epiphany

Trevor awoke to find himself surrounded by the spiraling, vast sea of swirling pastel shapes which marked the dream-world which he so often found himself in with Uxie. Yet, the Meowth instantly noticed that something was amiss from how this dream world lacked any kind of coloring; the background was composed of nothing but shades of black, white, and gray. Unsettled by this unexpectedly dreary sight, Trevor closed his eyes and called out towards the distance in his thoughts.

"...Uxie? Are you there?"

"Hmph," came an impassioned response, "If you believed that Uxie was the only Pokémon who could communicate through dreams, then you were sorely mistaken."

No sooner had Trevor called out for Uxie when a giant, spherical shadow suddenly appeared in front of the Meowth, causing him to yelp while recoiling backwards. Although Trevor initially failed to recognize the shadow's identity, the sight of its singular red eye was enough for it to become abundantly clear.

"Vul!" Trevor gasped, his eyes widening in shock as he scrambled backwards and unsheathed his claws.

"You have no need to be alarmed," the shadow replied calmly, "This is merely a dream; I cannot do anything to harm you as is."

Trevor put on a fierce expression while never breaking his gaze around Vul's red eye. "Then why are you here?!" he demanded, "What reason do you have for entering my dreams like this?!"

Vul's voice suddenly shifted to that of a softer, more empathetic tone. "I am here to offer you an escape. The invasion is tomorrow, is it not? Despite the courage-filled face you are often forced to wear, I can still sense just how scared you truly are. Your nervousness is commendable- to attempt in rescuing Dialga would be nothing short of suicide. You have impressed me with your little speech from a few days back, so I am here to offer you a means of escape."

"...Escape?" Trevor hesitantly repeated while creasing his large eyes in confusion. "What... do you mean?"

Vul wasted no time in answering. "If you leave your 'allies,' I swear to you that I will deliver you safely back to the human world. My plan will only affect the Pokémon world specifically- your fellow humans will not be affected in any way. Seeing as how the alternative consists of a certain, painful death, taking my offer is the only sensible path to take."

Vul's eye grew wide in anticipation as Trevor remained frozen in place.

"What reason do you have for standing by your teammates when they insist on forcing you to undertake such a pointless risk? What reason do you have to save a world that has done so much harm to you, simply for being different? I see great potential in you- why should it all go to waste simply because of a hasty, reckless decision made outside of your control?" Vul extended a shadowy, outstretched hand in front of Trevor, his singular eye gently peering into Trevor's jittering pupils. "So... what do you say?"

"I... I..." Trevor briefly struggled to say before suddenly breaking out of his confused trance. "No... NO!" he began screaming while frantically clutching his skull. "You can't... I won't... Get out! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"

Screaming furiously, Trevor leapt towards Vul's shadow and split its torso apart with a powerful swipe of his claws. As the Dusknoir's shadow split in two and slowly began disintegrating, he murmured a singular, echoing statement as the colorless dream world shook and crumbled apart around him.

"You had your chance..."

The final utterance echoed within the confines of Trevor's skull as he was sent careening out of the dream world and into a world of complete darkness. With a stifled scream, the Meowth snapped awake and jerked upwards from his nest, his body drenched with a mixture of sweat and tears.