Chapter 2

Karen •

As I entered the hospital rooms of the children my heart felt sad because no child should have to go through this. But it was still very fun hanging out with the children. If you didn't know I love the kids and people all around the world and if my fame can help change the world, I will do everything in my power to help.

As the day continued I went from room to room with the help of a few nurses. I sung, spoke to the children and their families, prayed, and I took some pictures. It was very fun overall. I was mostly in the pediatric wing with kids with cancer and various other diseases. I wanted to make my way around the whole pediatric section. I asked the hospital administrator to take me to the next floor.

The first room I was taken into was dark. The lights were off and the curtain covering the patient from the door. I gently knocked and heard a girl say "come in" . I pulled the curtain to the side before I came in contact with the girl. She had to be about 15. She looked pale. A sickly pale. She was all bruised up with IV connected to her.

"Hi sweetheart, my name is Karen. I wanted to stop by and see how you are doing. Is it ok if I sit down?" I said pointing to the chair next to her bed.

She nodded slowly as I looked into her glassy eyes. All I saw was pain and confusion in her big brown eyes. One of the nurses came up to me and told me she was here due to abuse at home. She's been here once before for the same reason but things escalated this time. How could someone hurt a child like this? I will never understand parents like that. How can you possibly hurt a helpless and innocent child? My eyes began to get watery. I didn't want to cry in front of the girl. I want to cheer her up not remind her why she's here.

"What's your name sweetheart?" I ask while caressing her bruised cheek.

"Maya" she whispered. She couldn't keep a steady eye contact for some reason. She looked down like she was uncomfortable. So I moved my hand. I didn't want to trigger any unwanted emotions.

"That's a beautiful name" I pointed out. I saw a smile creep along her face.

"Aren't you Karen Clark Sheard?" She asked. I smiled.

Normally that's the first thing people would notice, but it took amari a good 15 minutes before asking.

"Yes sweetheart" I said as stuck my right hand hoping she'll return the handshake. She held out her hand in mind lightly shaking it.

I didn't want to pry but there was just so much behind those big eyes. So much hurt and wonder. I felt a connection with her. I was once just like her. Coming from a house of abuse is not easy. With the physical pain comes a plethora of unmanageable emotions. All the while, you're trying your best to keep family secrets a secret