Chapter 4

• Maya •
Mrs Karen walked out of the room leaving me in here with two of the nurses. Mrs Karen is so kind to me for no reason and honestly I love it. I've only spent 30 minutes with her and I get such a good vibe from her. Like I can trust her. I feel safe. That's not something I can say about my parents. My thoughts were interrupted by Mrs Karen walking back into the room. I was so excited to see her back into my room. I gave her a smile. I wish I could really tell her everything I'm thinking and feeling at the moment, but it's very hard for me to do that.

"Sweetheart I don't want you to be upset, but I heard what happened at home. Are you okay babygirl?" Mrs Karen asked carresing my cheek.

Tears began rolling down my cheeks and on to her hands. I couldn't hold them back any longer. I didn't even realize that I was hysterically crying. I guess I opened the gate to all my emotions from the incident. I didn't give it much thought after waking up in the hospital.

Mrs Karen sat on my bed and slowly pulled me into a hug, she made sure to not pull on any wires attached to my body. She held me tight as she rocked me back and forth. I have never felt so safe and loved in my entire life. Those few moments were the highlight of my life so far.

Karen

The poor thing couldn't stop crying. I held her in my arms and just hugged her. I wanted her to feel loved. God knows that's all I wanted growing up. To know that I was loved. Genuinely. Not because I'm one of the Clark sisters, but simply because I'm Karen. I want Amari to know that there is someone in this world who truly cares for her.

I gently lifted her chin so she can looks at me. I didn't know how to break it to her that I wanted to adopt her. I didn't want her to be tossed from house to another in foster care. Majority of the time they're not even nice people. And I definitely don't want her to go back to her mother. She's done enough damage on this angel. I'm not letting her hurt amari anymore.

"Sweetheart, I know that you don't have a home right now. I also know that your social worker doesn't want you to go back to your mother and father" I said gently. Maya simply nodded her head with tears in her eyes.

"Well how would you like to come live with me?" I asked nervously. This could go either really well or really wrong.

• Maya

I could literally hear my heart thumping. Did Thee Karen Clark Sheard just offer to... adopt me? I looked at her confused, still in shock over what she said. Could she actually do that? I mean I don't even know her. But she's so nice. So much better than my parents. I can just tell she's honest. I feel like I can read people well, and let me just say when it comes to Mrs Karen, I know for a fact that she's being genuine.

Mrs Karen is staring at me waiting on me to answer. I opened my mouth then closed it right away. I didn't know how to respond.
"You really want me Mrs Karen?" I asked curiously. Her face dropped with that question.

"Why wouldn't I want you Maya? Id be honored and delighted to be you mother" she said with another kiss to my forehead.

Wow she really does love me. She really wants me to be in her family. Tears of joy began to run down my face.

"Why would you want someone like me? I don't have any special skills and I'm not really good at anything" I said as I looked down at my fingers.

Mrs Karen lifted my chin and said, " Look at me sweetheart. I don't ever want you to say something like that again, do you hear me? You are absolutely perfect just the way you are. I don't need you to have a special talent or skill to love you like my own. I just want you to be Maya. You don't need to change a single thing about you babygirl" every time she calls me babygirl, I melt. My parents never gave me cute nicknames.

"Can you really take me away from my parents Mrs Karen?" I asked.

"Well with the help of my lawyers, I'm hoping I can sweetheart. But only if you want to. I don't want to force my way into your life" she said with a gentle smile. I took a deep breath and looked at her.

"Mrs karen?" I said out of pure nervousness

"Yes babygirl?" She asked.

"I would love to be your daughter. You'd be saving me from hell Mrs Karen. I will never be able to pay you back for this" I sobbed

" Hey, what makes you think you owe me something for this? I want you to be apart of me and my family's life. You're an angel, baby. I'm so glad you're willing to accept me as your mother " Mrs Karen said as she pulled me into a hug. In that moment, I truly felt like nothing could ever hurt me again