Chapter 3

• Maya •

Mrs Karen is so nice. I really wish she was my mother. I feel some kind of connection with her. It's like she's been through the same thing. It's kinda crazy.

"Mrs Karen" I called out her name. It caused her to give me her full attention.

"Could you sing me a song?" I asked. She simply nodded her head and began singing.

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind but now I see

When she finished singing I had a huge smile on my face. Which caused her to smile.

Karen

Seeing Maya smile makes me happy. I'm just so glad that it just makes her happy.

"Now you can tell your family you had a chance to meet me when you go home" I told her. All of a sudden she began to cry.

"Did I say something? Was it something I did? Maybe I shouldn't have said that" all these thoughts began running through my head. And I'm going catch over... I don't even know. I guess caught on my looks.

" It wasn't anything you did Mrs Karen. It's just I don't have a home to go back to" she cried even harder. I looked at her with concern then to the hospital administrator.

"I'll be right back sweetheart ok?" Maya nodded. The hospital administrator and I step out to speak about amari.

" What does she mean she doesn't have a home to go back to?" I asked with worry.

" Well Mrs Sheard, unfortunately Maya's mother beat her so bad it landed her here. This is the second time child services had to get involved. So now they won't allow her to go back to her home. They want to put her in the foster care system. That's really what we're waiting on now. Once her social worker finds her a home, she will be on her way" he said matter of factly.

" Are both of her parents abusive?" I asked hoping for some light in this situation.

" I know that her mother is the abusive one. Her father doesn't really stop her. So it really doesn't help Maya's situation" he said.

"So what now? The system is just gonna throw her in some random home?" I asked slightly annoyed.

" Well ma'am thats how the system works. There isn't much for us to do here" he said rubbing the back of his neck. He knew the system was failing this girl just as much as I did . I could see the guilt on his face.

"You know what, I want to adopt her. Please call her social worker and I'll call my lawyers. I want to sort this out as fast as I can. I'm not adding on to Maya's list of let downs" I said with determination.

The hospital administrator looked sort of in shock. I guess he doesn't have people coming in here everyday to adopt kids on the spot.

"I'll see what I can do Mrs Sheard" he said

" Thank you" I said enthusiastically.

With that being said, I made my way back into Maya's room. I don't know how she's going to take it. What if she doesn't want to go back home with me?

It's gonna be hard for her to be obedient to someone she doesn't even know, especially with her traumatic background. Being my daughter will also make her the center of media scrutiny. Will she be able to handle it? Will she want to handle it?