Chapter 7

• Maya •

Everything is happening so fast. It all felt surreal. Just a few hours ago, I was alone with no home set for me to go back to. I felt this void. I didn't feel like anyone was on my side. And here I am the daughter of my favorite singer who barely knows me yet she opened her heart up to me. She opened doors to her family for me. All I feel is gratitude. Although Ms Karen said not to feel like I owe her anything, I feel like I owe her anything, I can't help but feel indebted to this wonderful human being.

Kierra and j Drew all seem very nice. Especially Kierra. She gave me a hug. I'm guessing the Sheard's are big on hugs. Ms Karen and kierra we're more than happy just to give them out. My biological family never did things like that. Well I guess my dad did, but he was always busy with work. My mother never hugged me. Never.

Kierra seemed very quiet. After grace took me to my bedroom, she came in and offered me some candy. She spoke very few words but this gesture meant a lot to me. J Drew was nice too, I guess. But he didn't seem to really pay much attention to me. When Mrs Karen had introduced us to each other, he smiled and said hello and that's about it.

Grace also seemed nice. She had this warmth to her. I don't know how to explain it. I've never really been around women that just exudes this type of affection. She didn't even have to do much. All I knew was that I was comfortable around her. She helped me take a bath even though I didn't I told her I didn't need help. I was still bruised up pretty bad and had bandages around my ribs and arms. She took care of all of that for me.

Once I was done taking a bath, I was sitting on the bed in a fluffy robe. Grace was trying to style my hair. I looked at the handful of mini chocolates kierra had given me earlier. As grace detangled my hair, I sat there peeling one wrapper after another. In about thirty seconds, my mouth was stuffed with chocolate.

Ms Karen entered the room with a bag in her hands. She noticed my big cheeks which caused me to giggle a bit.

"Girl what's in your mouth" she said while laughing. "Chocolate" I said with a smile upon my face.

Karen •

The more comfortable Maya got with me, the more she started talking to me. I have no problem with that. In fact, I want her to feel comfortable enough to share whatever is in her mind. I decided to change the topic and show her the outfit I had my stylist pick out for her. It was a black dress. We were all going to be wearing black.

"Do you like it Maya?" I asked.

"Yes Ms Karen, it's very pretty. Thank you" she said with a smile. I was glad she liked it.

"We're gonna have to head out soon ok? Do you want to have early dinner before we go, or dinner after the fashion show?" I asked.

" Whatever gets me my chocolates the fastest," she said with a smirk. I tried to hide my smile. Lord, this girl is already testing me.

"Oh you're with chocolate for today little girl." I said gently.

" Ma, kierra called to make sure we're getting ready. She really doesn't want us to be late" J Drew said entering the room.

" Ok. Everyone needs to start getting ready. Grace, can you please help Maya get dressed?" I asked Grace.

" Sure Mrs Sheard" she responded.

" And Maya, I'll have someone send your a little snack before we go. We'll have dinner as a family after the show " Maya simply smiled and nodded her head. I made my way into the bathroom to get ready for tonight.

Grace