Chapter 5

After consoling Maya, Karen managed to put Amari to sleep. She was dehydrated and evidently exhausted. She need her rest. She had one of the nurses stay in her room, so Maya's not frightened when she wakes up to no one. Meanwhile, Karen went around to all the other patients she was planning on meeting today. She was beaming with joy.

Eventually the time came to speak to the lawyers and Maya's social worker. As she was dreading this, she was also very eager to get this over with. She made Maya's a promise and she intended to keep it. She truly did want to save her from this unfortunate family life that she comes from. The hospital administrator notified Karen that her lawyers and the social worker have arrived, and waiting for him in a conference room in the hospital. Karen followed him there. Once she stepped into the conference room he realized that this is going to be a lot harder than she thought.

Karen

I walked in and noticed several unfamiliar faces. I was only expecting my 3 three lawyers and the social worker. But then I saw a man and a woman whose faces looked familiar. Then it hit me. They're Maya's parents. I introduced myself and took a seat. There was awkward silence before Maya's father spoke up.

"You're not taking my daughter anywhere!" He screamed with rage.

I didn't really know what to say. I didn't know if I should remain calm or "spazz out" as the young folk say on her parents out for being such terrible parents. I took a deep breath and looked at him in the eye.

"Do you really think you're treating Maya right? Honestly? Parent to parent. Can you truly say you're treating that girl, right?" I said trying to stifle my tears.

" What I do with my daughter is none of your business! I never even touched that girl. But they want to charge me!" He bellowed while pointing the social worker.

" Sure just because you never physically abused your daughter doesn't mean that you daughter doesn't mean you didn't participate in the abuse. You were fully aware of what your wife was doing. Yet you chose to turn a blind eye. Your basically an accomplice. Under my authority, I will not allow Maya to go back under your care and that's final. You should be glad I'm letting you keep your other children" the social worker pointed out.

I looked at the social worker confused. " Hold on they have other children? And they are staying in that abusive household?" I questioned.

" Mrs. Sheard I have to follow a criteria when it comes to my cases. And I've come to the confusion that their children are safe there. I won't be pulling them out of the house" she said.

" Alright gospel star, what are going to do different? Since you're parent of the year, how will you do a better job than us? Because believe me, that girl is a trip" snarked Maya's mother.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her. "I will be a real parent. Give her love and motivation to be an amazing young lady in this world. More than anything, I will make sure she's happy" I said with a smirk

"Yeah that's cute and shit, till the girl drives you insane" she said.

" Well children learn what they see" I said condescendingly. I knew what she was trying to do. She thinks I will change my mind I'd she paints Maya as a brat. Children that don't receive proper care or love will obviously act out. It's bound to happen. During the back and forth between Maya's mother and I, I noticed that her father was awfully quiet. I felt like I can get through to him.

I looked directly at her father and said "I know you love her. I can tell" he flinched a little. He looked down. "But if you continuously choose your marriage over your daughter, time and time again, you know she's better off with me. I can care for her, love her, provide her with everything she could ever possibly need or want" I said with a hand to my heart.

In the short few moments I spent with Maya's , I knew that I was meant to save her. I was meant to be here. I felt a special connection with her that I didn't feel with the other children. Maybe it was the all too familiar feeling of abuse and neglect. All I knew was that I was meant to be her mother. I knew it in my core . After much discussion, Maya's parents agreed to sign off their parental rights over Maya's to me. After several invasive questions from the social worker about finance and living conditions, I was now officially Maya's mother. I was elated.

Once all the documents were signed, I shook hands with my lawyers and the social worker. Before I stepped out of the room, Maya's mother looked at me with pure hatred and said, "Don't bring her back when she becomes too much to handle" I simply rolled my eyes and left the conference room. I never have to deal with these people again. I headed towards my little girl's room to welcome her into her new life.