2~The Lord's Sheep

Janessa clung to him like a jealous girlfriend.

She was a loyal friend, and Leo knew what the effort cost her, especially when they reached the camp and Dean's jealous gaze narrowed on the two of them.

"Your boyfriend wants to kill me."

"Don't worry. I won't let him." Janessa's eyes never left Dean. He heard the sadness in her voice, though she tried to hide it.

"I wasn't worried. Maybe you should talk to him."

"Yeah? Maybe you should talk to Grace. You've been mooning over her all year."

"Mooning? Nah, I was not." He rubbed his jaw, aware he'd spent too much time thinking about sweet Grace Moore. "I was talking to her before you interrupted."

"Just so you know she's a church girl. If you're looking for fun, you'll strike out with that one," Janessa teased, her gaze shrewd. "Or did you already try?"

Leo was taken aback. "I didn't try anything."

Janessa's delicate brow arched. "Grace was blushing."

"Maybe she thinks I'm hot," Leo joked, grinning to sell the line.

"Of course, she does. She's a female, and you are hot."

"What's the deal with her and that guy, Mark? I thought he was her boyfriend, but she said no." He tried to appear casual.

"More like her big brother. They have a sibling vibe."

"Group Huddle!" Mr. Archer called, motioning them to join the circle. At fifty he was fit, enthusiastic, and he loved to work with teenagers, which is what made him one of the most popular teachers.

"I'm proud of what you kids have accomplished this week. You're all amazing and I appreciate each of you. Thank you for your hard work. It's going to change the lives of many people." Archer brushed at his eyes with the back of his hand and gave them a curt nod.

"You getting emotional on us, Mr. Archer?"

"Never. I'm a cool dude to the very end." He clapped his hands. "Care to do one last sanding job?" Archer turned to Leo, handing him gloves.

"I'm on it."

"Girls will take clean-up duty," Janessa added in a singsong voice.

"Sure," Dean drawled. "Let the men handle the hard stuff."

"You got it!" Janessa winked at Dean before pointing at Leo, Mark, and Colton. "The men will handle the hard stuff. Dean, you come with us girls."

Leo bit back a smile. Mark and Colton nearly died laughing. Even shy Rose smiled.

Dean flashed a heart-stopping smile at the girls. "I have no problem hanging out with beautiful women. You boys call me if there's something you can't lift by yourselves."

Grace's lips lifted in a smile that Leo felt in his chest. She was so pretty. Leo thought she was an angel with strawberry blonde hair, big green eyes, and a light sprinkle of freckles across her nose. He tore his gaze from her before anyone noticed him watching.

Junior year she'd sat beside him in Algebra. Grace always let him borrow pencils or notes even without him asking. She seemed to know what he needed and was willing to help. Sometimes he'd purposefully leave pencils at home just so she'd have a reason to talk to him. At Christmastime one year she'd given him a pencil with the words Jesus loves you.

He'd known then she was not the girl for him, but it didn't matter because for the next two years Leo kept track of Grace like his life depended on it. Sometimes he questioned his sanity.