18~Listen to God

Leo, Dean, and Mark blocked Peter's exit.

"Seriously? I thought ya'll wanted to get rid of me."

"Nah, that was me." Colton lifted his hand. "Since then, I've changed my mind. Mostly."

Peter's gaze swung to Colton. "Really?"

"Don't flatter yourself. I'm still not sure I like you, but I don't think you meant for us to die, and you're not leaving until this is done."

"You don't think he meant for us to die. Way to encourage Colton," Janessa said, elbowing him.

"The dude wants to leave. I didn't have time to write a fancy poem."

"That picture doesn't even look like you," Rose said. "Your hair is longer, you've lost weight, and you have a tan."

"True," Mark agreed. "The big question is why would she say she's seen Peter if she hasn't?"

"You may be onto something. If Lulabelle wanted attention, she could have just as easily said she saw any one of the many criminals running around." Dean's brow knitted in c concentration. "Why Peter?"

"Ever heard the phrase go big or go home? Peter's big news now. He's wanted for murder."

"Yeah, but it's too convenient."

"The bad guys obviously know we're here." Seeing alarmed expressions, Leo added, "I mean Apple Rapids. It will be difficult to find us with all the campgrounds in this town."

"Difficult but not impossible," Mark said.

"It's the phones." Peter's voice broke. "I know you think I'm losing it, but we're being tracked."

"I think he's right," Colton admitted. "We have a prepaid phone now. The big question is who do we trust?"

"We need a few pieces to the puzzle. Our families know we're missing by now, but we haven't made the news and neither has Mr. Archer." Grace's forehead crinkled in bewilderment.

Leo's hand moved to her shoulders. He turned to the rest of the group. "She's right. Why haven't we been missed?"

"It's super weird," Rose agreed.

"We're going to have to use the phone to find out." Dean tensed. "Question is who do we call?"

Janessa's expression was pensive. "People with double O-7 connections are watching our families."

"The last thing we want is to put our loved ones in danger. Does anyone have cop friends?"

"Sorry, no."

"I don't know anyone tough enough to help us."

"I do." Leo's gaze glittered. "We call my dad."

"No love lost between you and the old man?" Colton quipped.

"Colton," Janessa admonished.

"John Wilder is former military, special operations." Leo's gaze collided with Grace's. "We've had our differences, he's sharp, tough, and well-trained. He can take care of himself. And us."

A beat of silence followed. "Can we trust him? Dean asked.

"Yeah. I wouldn't suggest it if we couldn't."

Mark gave a slow nod. "Anyone got a better idea, speak now or forever hold your peace."

"We're calling for help not getting married," Colton drawled sarcastically.

No one else spoke and a silent collective agreement ensued.

"Let's do it."

Leo drew a deep breath. John answered on the first ring. "Leo?"