14~God speaks to us

"I'm fine," Janessa insisted, climbing to her feet.

She swayed and Dean's arm roped around her waist, hauling her to his side. "You're weak as a kitten."

Despite the innocence of his touch, Janessa shivered. After everything, Dean Bradshaw still affected her like no other.

He was right. She didn't feel like she could walk four feet much less four miles, but this was a life or death situation. "I'll manage," she assured him.

"You're sick."

"It was probably the river water."

"We all drank it. You're the only one that threw up all night."

Looking up at him, she saw the concern in his eyes and she felt like crying but she wouldn't. "Thank you for caring, Dean."

For a moment time seemed to stop as their gazes locked. "I'll always care, Janessa. I love you."

His fingers brushed her cheek making her skin tingle. The words were out before she could stop them. "I love you too."

He cocked a brow, peering down at her. "Enough to tell me the truth?"

"Dean, did you—"

"Over here, now!" Leo yelled.

Dean stiffened, his posture revealing his sudden alert. "We better see what he wants."

They all moved to the place where they'd camped for the night.

"What's going on?" Mark asked.

"We found tracks," Colton said, shoving stuff in his backpack. "We've got to hurry."

"Animal tracks?"

"Human," Leo answered. "We saw two dudes that don't look like recreational hikers."

"I told you," Peter warned. "How far away are they?"

"A mile."

A soft gasp escaped Grace's lips. Leo's gaze met hers. "Yeah, it's too close for my comfort too. The good news is they were still asleep. If we go now, we can keep distance between them."

Janessa swallowed down panic. Everyone's gaze seemed to search her out. They knew she was the weak link. "I can make it."

"Of course, she can." Dean grabbed both their backpacks and threaded his fingers with hers.

"Alright kids, let's go for a hike." Peter forced a smile.

They set a brisk pace and Janessa prayed to Grace's and Mark's God for strength. She thought she'd imagined the voice from the heavens last night. She'd been certain they would be caught, possibly killed, and then without warning the helicopter flew away.

...With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm good." To her surprise, she didn't feel queasy at all. She was a little tired, but they all were. One foot in front of the other, that was her plan.

The sun's unrelenting rays shone down on them like lasers of fire. No one complained. They kept hiking, not daring to look back. After they'd stopped briefly for water, they forged on.

Peter began to sing, "We're off to see the cops..." to the tune of The Wizard of Oz. "The wonderful cops of all. To here he is a wonderful cop if ever a cop there was..."

"Dude, what are you on?" Colton scowled.

"Sorry, the heat's getting to me."

"I kind of liked it," Janessa said. "Takes my mind off everything."