21~Give all God all you have

Leo awoke in the middle of the night.

He'd slept light, every sound outside or creak of mattress springs working his nerves. His mind wouldn't stop throwing facts, playing out scenarios, and trying not to think about the girl sleeping in the next room.

It was useless, sleeping and forgetting Grace. He could still smell her sweet scent and feel her soft skin. Groaning, he turned on his side but images of Grace still haunted him.

After years of hardening his heart to John's talk of Jesus, he found himself thinking about God a lot and he had his angel to think for that. It made him hopeful and guilty at the same time. He might not be as bad as his reputation, but Leo was no saint.

Why would God want anything to do with him?

Giving up on getting any rest, Leo got up, took a quick shower, and made a pot of coffee. Hearing footsteps he saw Dean drag himself to the coffee pot. "You'll need backup."

Leo shook his head. "The less of us seen the better."

"Since you rented the cabin, I should go get the money. You stay here in case the owner comes looking for you."

Leo's gaze flicked to Dean. The guy had courage, but John set this up. Leo wouldn't let anyone else risk being caught or killed. "The cabins aren't cleaned until you check out, and this is the most secluded one. No one's coming looking for us, and I'll be back before noon."

He looked like he wanted to argue. "What if you need help?"

"I'm taking one of the prepaid phones."

A humorless bark of laughter escaped Dean's chest. "Right. 911 hasn't worked out before."

"Because someone intercepted the calls. It won't happen on the new phone."

Dean took a deep sip of coffee. "I haven't had enough caffeine to talk about intercepting calls. Still can't believe it."

"I hear you." Leo lifted his own coffee mug.

"Hey, man, about Janessa—"

"You should talk to her," Leo interrupted sympathetically, feeling bad for him. Bradshaw was a decent guy and he loved Janessa.

"I have." Dean's gaze sharpened. "She told you her secret. You don't have to confirm or deny, I know."

Leo kept silent. There was nothing to say.

"How would you feel if Grace started sharing secrets with me?"

Hearing his name linked to Grace's as though they were a couple was oddly satisfying. Shoving the feeling aside, Leo tensed. "It's not the same. Grace isn't my girlfriend, and she never will be."

Dean laughed. "Keep telling yourself that, dude. I see the way she looks at you, and the way you look at her."

He stiffened. "Don't talk about her like that. You know Grace is all about Jesus."

"Hey, I meant no disrespect. Just because she loves Jesus doesn't mean she can't love you too." A strange expression crossed Dean's features. His expression fell. "I sound like a chick."

Leo's lips twitched. "Better not let Janessa hear you say that."

"True," he chuckled. "My girl is a bit of a feminist."

"I better get going."

"One more thing." Dean set his coffee down. "You said you heard God's voice the day of the helicopter."

Leo nodded, wondering what this was about.

"But you don't believe in God, right?" Dean asked.

"Dude, I don't know what I believe anymore." He rubbed the back of his neck. "My dad believes."