36~I will make a way in the wilderness

Colton's eyes closed. I wished I'd believed sooner. If it's not too late, I'm sorry for all I've done and I beg you to save me. To save us. Please, Lord God.

Shorty stepped forward, brandishing his weapon. "For the last time, I want to know who Peter is. Answer wrong and someone's about to take their last breath." His friendly tone made the threat all the more menacing.

Time seemed to freeze. The animals quieted, the wind ceased, and no one dared to move.

Finally, Peter stepped forward on legs that felt like gelatin.

"Nice job." Shorty's gaze sliced to Scarface, whose hard eyes surveyed Peter then he gave Shorty a curt nod. "Well, Peter, we're going to give you the chance to be a hero."

"You want to be a superhero, Peter?" Scarface taunted.

Peter swallowed. "Who doesn't."

"Then let's trade. Mike gave you something before he died. Hand it over and we'll spare your friends' lives."

"Mike didn't die. He was murdered."

"You getting smart with me, Peter?" He stepped forward, eyes glittering dangerously. "I'm not some underpaid, overworked, high-school coach who will tell you to run an extra lap." In a swift move, he lifted his arm and gut-punched Peter, who doubled over.

"Save it until the job is done," Shorty instructed.

"Just teaching manners. Kids these days have no respect." Scarface grinned. "Who's next?"

"Ok," Peter groaned. "I-It's in the cabin."

"What's in the cabin?" Scarface's hawkish gaze narrowed.

"Mike's phone," he rasped. "The murder was videotaped on his phone."

The two men shared a brief look. "You checked this out for yourself, Peter?"

"No, I didn't have time. Mike gave me the phone as he was dying."

Scarface chuckled. "You expect us to believe you haven't looked at his phone since then?"

"It's been turned off. So we couldn't be tracked."

"Maybe he's not as dumb as he looks." Scarface motioned to the cabin with his gun. "You have thirty seconds to get outside with the phone or your friends start dying."

Sweat trickled down Peter's armpits. He started to turn, but Shorty's voice stopped him cold. Peter blinked, unable to believe what he saw.

"In case you're thinking about going for the worst-friend-of-the-universe award, if you try to escape, we will hunt you down. Our people are all over this town like flies on dog poop."

Keeping his expression blank, Peter caught a glimpse of Leo behind the bus. The others saw it too. "I'll get it. I promise." His voice was a touch too loud. "Please, I don't want anyone to get hurt," he added, keeping the attention directed at him and not his friend.

"Then shut up and get us the phone."

Catching Leo's thumbs-up signal, Peter trotted to the cabin.

Dean kept his head down, not wanting to give away Wildcard's location. Beside him, Janessa let out a sob, which he knew was fake. God bless her for playing along. Mark and Rose held hands, shaking, each of the seemingly aware of the need to keep the attention off the van. This could go very, very bad. Lord God, it's in your hands.

As if sensing the need for distraction, Colton began to cry. Soft hiccups and sobs quickly turned into a full-blown wail.

"Is the kid for real?" Scarface spat.