17~Love God

Icy fear washed through Grace, and she felt lips against her temple. "Don't scream, I—"

The attacker never finished the sentence before Leo barreled into him, and they both flew to the ground with a thud and groan. It became clear quickly the guy wasn't fighting back.

Leo lifted his fist, stared at the dude, and froze. "Mark?"

"It's me," Mark answered at the same time Rose cried, "Don't hurt him!"

Sinking with relief, Grace stepped forward. "You scared me."

Unfolding his fist, Leo offered his hand and helped Mark to his feet. "I'm sorry, Grace." His gaze skipped around warily. "I was afraid of drawing attention."

"Were you followed?" Leo asked, suddenly alert.

"I don't think so. Colton and Peter are behind us making sure."

Leo's gaze sharpened. "What aren't you telling me?"

"I did something stupid," Colton answered, stepping into the clearing. "Or brilliant depending on how you look at it."

Amusement glinted in Leo's eyes, and he turned to Rose. "How do you look at it?"

Rose blushed beneath Leo's regard, but she managed a smile. "If there was any doubt how much trouble we're in, Colton settled it. Someone wants us dead."

Grace could tell Leo hadn't expected it put so bluntly. "Tell us what you did," he said solemnly.

"Hey, man, you were my inspiration." Colton's gaze glittered.

"I'm flattered." The word was thick with sarcasm.

Mark chuckled. "I cannot believe I'm still able to see the humor." He slapped Colton's back. "Our boy here used his phone to call 911 and told them we were in an abandoned building downtown."

Leo tensed waiting for the rest of the story. Grace's little fist moved to her chin.

"I left the phone in the alley and we watched from across the street to see who would show up," Colton explained, a vacant look in his eyes.

"Oh, no," Grace whispered. "Who was it?"

"No one. The building blew up."

"What?"

Peter gave a slow nod. "That was our reaction too. Luckily, no one was hurt."

"Wait a sec." Leo frowned. "You called 911? I thought you called Apple Rapids Police when you set up the first meeting."

"No, I called 911 both times. What are you thinking?"

"You only gave a general location. How did they know to ask you to meet in Apple Rapids at a specific restaurant?"

Understanding flickered in Colton's eyes. "Good question. At the time I didn't think to ask."

"None of us did, but Peter's theory about the phones being tracked suddenly doesn't sound so crazy."

Mark slid his hand over his face. "It's not possible to intercept an emergency call, is it?"

"Two days ago, I'd have said no." Leo's jaw tightened. "Now...I think we should get to the cabin." The crunch of footsteps prickled the hair at the back of his nape.

Mark spun around, and Colton went still, holding a finger to his lips. Grace and Rose moved closer to one another, and Leo crept toward the noise.

"Who's there?" Colton demanded.

Leo took another step and Peter shined the light revealing a boy and a girl, probably a few years younger than they were. They were both blushing fiercely, and the girl's mouth was swollen. From the looks of them, they'd been caught kissing.