Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter-Twenty One
Elle's POV

I told myself that I was stronger than this, that I'd be okay no matter what I faced on the other side of the door. But I didn't heed my own warnings and found myself clutching Kaden's hand.

As we neared the front door, I forgot how to blink, the rapid twitch of my eyelids drawing Kaden's scrutiny. If he had asked me about it, I was sure any words I spoke would come out in gibberish.

Cold sweat was creeping through my bloodstream, yet I was so flushed that I regretted wearing the long-sleeved knit sweater that insulated the heat to my body. A tingling in my chest made it hard to breathe, and I was close to making a decision I would regret.

I had half a mind to convince Kaden to leave me in the car. I knew he would let me stay behind if I asked, but the disappointment I would invite onto his expression was already making my skin itch.

I had fought to find myself in this position, and the doubt trickling in was nearly enough for me to squander the chance without a second thought. But if I couldn't do this, if I backed out now, then there was no way I'd be able to convince myself, let alone anyone else, that I should be Luna one day.

Kaden knocked on the door, and I let our hands drop between us. I drew a deep breath and squashed the jittery feeling fluttering within my chest with my shoulders pulled back. Today I was going to prove that this wasn't some fantasy that Kaden had concocted in deluded collusion with the Goddess. I was going to prove that I belonged by his side.